Skip to main content
Topic: Black Snowflakes (Read 1927 times) previous topic - next topic

Black Snowflakes

Has anyone here painted their Snowflakes black? If so, I would like to see pics. Mine are in rough shape and I thought about painting them black and polishing the center. Any thoughts??

Black Snowflakes

Reply #1
Paint the recesses body color, or black, then sand and smooth and polish the faces to a natural finish, then clearcoat???

I've wanted to do this for years, but never have had the car worthy of putting them on and now my stuff is 5 lug. Just a thought..?
(Black wheels are kind've iffy to me...sometimes the look is pulled off, other times it looks like ass) ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Black Snowflakes

Reply #2
I know what you mean about the black wheels being iffy. I actually like black wheels but sometimes they just dont look good. I figured the black wheels might blend in with the TC's black molding. I'm gonna have to take a better pic of the car and photoshop the wheels black. I was hoping I could see some actual pics of other cars first. Plus, I would rather paint the wheels than polish them. lol!!

Black Snowflakes

Reply #3
Hi my xr7 is white, i painted all the emblems gold.. and the grill is gold in the center w. chrome on outside..the dumbass before me painted the snowflakes black....ugggggggggggglllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy. im gonna strip them and paint centers gold. with polished outer lip.

Black Snowflakes

Reply #4
There are several TCs with black wheels on this site and NATO it will just take a little looking to find them. I'm personally not a fan, but to each their own.
...and there was light!

Black Snowflakes

Reply #5

...and there was light!

Black Snowflakes

Reply #6
I think only black recessed areas is a good idea. These rims are nearly impossible to keep clean from brake dust.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Black Snowflakes

Reply #7
Yes all black diminishes the look of the wheels, although i am digging the blue tc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Black Snowflakes

Reply #8
Quote from: Seek;402249
I think only black recessed areas is a good idea. These rims are nearly impossible to keep clean from brake dust.

The PITA part to keep clean are those little fins. The pockets are fairly easy to clean but those little fins in the pockets drive me nuts.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Black Snowflakes

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302;402257
The PITA part to keep clean are those little fins. The pockets are fairly easy to clean but those little fins in the pockets drive me nuts.

That's what I mean. The snowflakes I have on now are destroyed in there. There's no fixing them without stripping and completely redoing them. I figure at that point, paining them, then restoring the outside to factory, is the best route to take to hide brake dust in the future.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Black Snowflakes

Reply #10
Quote from: Seek;402260
That's what I mean. The snowflakes I have on now are destroyed in there. There's no fixing them without stripping and completely redoing them. I figure at that point, paining them, then restoring the outside to factory, is the best route to take to hide brake dust in the future.

That's what I ended up doing with the set I have on my car. I repainted the inside and polished the face. I have to use a q-tip and tooth brush to keep those stupid fins clean. I think the solution is to cut/grind the little fins off, but that's a lot of work.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Black Snowflakes

Reply #11
I have a 2nd set of these rims on my parts car, they are gonna be black with the silver hubcaps, but they are gonna be painted professionally not with rattle cans.
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe - Black - 5 Speed - 181k Miles
1989 Chrysler LeBaron Conv - Silver - Auto - 24k Miles
1993 Thunderbird LX 5.0 HO - Silver - Auto - 72k Miles

Black Snowflakes

Reply #12
Powder coating.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Black Snowflakes

Reply #13
Quote from: vinnietbird;402550
Powder coating.

:iagree:  :iagree:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Black Snowflakes