Skip to main content
Topic: cougar nuts sucks please help!! (Read 2156 times) previous topic - next topic

cougar nuts sucks please help!!

i was wondering if anyone could share their engine swapping know-how...what parts will i need to drop a 1978 cougar 351w into a former v6 85 cougar, also what should i do with all the electrical shiznit under the hood. i plan on using the duraspark off the 78. :america:
THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!
1994 ford cough aerostar cough :shakehead
1985 mercury cougar 5.8 fmx 3 speed 4.10s in progress :welder:

Re: cougar nuts sucks please help!!

Reply #1
shouldnt that be a 400m engine?  thats not really important cause that has really nothing to do with your question or the outcome casue it will all be the same.

this is a pretty simple swap if you ask me.

mounts..not sure but easy enough recified
computer wiring,,toss it
emmissions vac lines behind the coolant fill tank,,toss em
keeping your tranny? doesnt really matter either way cause youll probably end up relocating the cross memeber with other than stock.
using your stock in the tank fuel pump? or side pumper only? doesnt really matter, you'll make it work either way
solid fan,clutch fan, electric fan,, either way fairly easy to do.
load up the engine bay with your new harness or reuse wires from your existing harness from the fuse box. either way its pretty much duplicating whats in the 78.
rig up your vac which should be pretty easy
linkages,,,to tranny,, to throttle,, not sure but it can be figured out.
bring in your durasparkII harness and control module and wire it up.
larger radiator,,possibly but your standard 2core might cut it depending on what you wanna run this car for.
speedo operation,, lets hope its as simple as installing your v6 speedo sensor or similar so it can talk to your digital dash.
get an EVTM so you know where to hook up your alt charge , coolant sensor, all that  from the solenoid ect ect ,, point is you might need an evtm but maybe not.

these are just quick thoughts as to what id consdier if i did the swap.  sounds cut and dry to me.  Cougar nuts is a more relaxed board so the tech stuff is here.

btw,, i know i did not help much but i just thought id throw in my .02 worth.

Reply #2
Thanks for responding, i have had a post on cougarnuts for about a week still no luck the motor is a 351w (I ran the VIN in a chiltons manual and it also says so on the valve cover id tag) though the guy i got the motor has a sweet 77 with a 400m in it that we recently removed (terrible knock)  thanks again

Reply #3
you'll find technical info here
or
coolcats.net (technical section)
or
therangerstation.com (technical section)

all of which combined with make the swap pretty painless.

Reply #4
351 is a drop in.
same mounts that 302 use will fit.  Headers u will need 351W headers for a fox.
U need flywheel from that motor the older 351 has a difrent waight balance then newer 302s or your V6.

As for pullys u can mix and match to make somthing that works.

Reply #5
Don't let's forget a Fox-compatible oil pan...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
big hammer fix that

thanks!!

Reply #7
thanks for the guidence guys, this car is pretty special to me because it was my brothers first car and he blew it up then joined the army haven't seen him for a while thought he might like the suprise!!