Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Shift  (Read 4495 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Shift

The shift  in our '87 Turbo Coupe has melted, and we were looking at replacements online and came across one on this website.

https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=7213CL+01

The website says that the shift  will work on 1983-2004 Mustangs. Does anyone know if this shift  will work on the '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe?

Reply #1
Any shifter  that works on a stang will work on a tc. It's the same shifter from the factory.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #2
Oh yes.  Will work fine.
Mike

Reply #3
The shifter itself will work and the thread size is the same.  However, the thread depth may be "shorter", with the shifter not screwing down as far as the original shifter (i.e. some threads may show when the shifter is screwed down as far as it can go).  It may not "clock" the same way, either, and will need a jam nut to allow for the shifter handle to be straight.  That's my experience with a single reproduction leather shift  for a Mustang.  Your results may vary...

Daniel

Reply #4
Thank you for all of the feedback.

Reply #5
Maybe this weekend I'll post the shift handle you listed and compare it to my TC handle (leather is partially melted, too).  You'll be able to see the differences and decide for yourself.  Like I said, I have experience with only one aftermarket shift handle, so other manufacturers/brands may be longer and better oriented to what the factory has.

Reply #6
I used one off of a sho taurus. its rubber but looks identicle. the supercoupe  also looks identicle but is also the same py style leather.

pull your handle off and bring it into your junkyard and just try some s on it off random cars. most puppiesanland cars use a tiny thread, but tons of small cars and trucks use the same 12mm thread and most are 5 speeds.

Also, don't bother with autozone s. they all use a plastic thread adaptar. i was constantly tighte.ing and lossening mine as i was driving and it litterly ate through.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
I posted a similar thread on the NATO message board and was directed to an older thread that contains the part number of a shift  that looks similar to the original shift s that came on the '87 TC. The part number is XR3Z-7213-BA.

The thread with the shift  comparisons can be found here-

http://natomessageboard.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=224534&page=1

Later on in the thread the shift  with the XR3Z-7213-BA part number is compared to the original TC shift .