Skip to main content
Topic: Once again, door windows/tracks/clips (Read 9816 times) previous topic - next topic

Once again, door windows/tracks/clips

Reply #45
When I have squeaky regulators I use white lithium, but I try to keep it away from the glass, because it makes a big mess. While I've never seen it, I have often suspected that greasing rubber window glass runs might make them harden.  But like I said, I've never used white lithium on glass runs, my customers complain too loudly about the grease that oversprays when I use it on regulators for me to PURPOSELY put it on their glass.  Hard to clean up completely.

Reply #46
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;389000
When I have squeaky regulators I use white lithium, but I try to keep it away from the glass, because it makes a big mess. While I've never seen it, I have often suspected that greasing rubber window glass runs might make them harden.  But like I said, I've never used white lithium on glass runs, my customers complain too loudly about the grease that oversprays when I use it on regulators for me to PURPOSELY put it on their glass.  Hard to clean up completely.

I agree , it is messy as heck ...  personally I try NOT to make a mess , but to each his own
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #47
I used a tube to apply it,no spray or calk gun or anything like that. It doesn't take much...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #48
Quote from: Haystack;388973
It has nothing to do with theplastic, its the plastic and the glass both being sealed. Olastic is not pourus, and neither is glass. Because of this no glue really works well with either one. This is why jb welb works almost as well as silicone.

The have special glues that adhear to the materieals in plastic, and glass each seperately. Another this to work around, most glues don't stick to petrolium, and that is the main ingrediant of most plastics.

Roughing up the window with some sand paper isn't a bad idea. Ideally, slotting the glass would work even better, or if you had holes in it. Drilling holes in the clips gives them a lot more to hold onto. If you ever look closely at wood that has been glued, how deep the glue leaks down is going to determin how strong the bond is. The glue absorbs into the wodd and when it hardens it becomes one solid peice. This is how most glues are designed to work. Silicone is a sealent, more then a glue.

Silicone has very little. Adhesion to the surfaces it is applied to. It only covers the object, and stays rubbery. As soon as that rubber is pealed off, it will no long adhear in any way.

This is why I use the black windsheild adhesive. It is ment for metal, plastic and glass. It is seriously probably 10 times stonger or more then any silicone. And it seals perfectly, while being semi rubbery to provide some flex if the window or track ever does bind up.

The way I see it, there are two things you can do.

Gain surface area to promote adhesion (which is what tom does), or use a better/stronger glue.

The clips are held in place by the windows. There is as much or moter side to side force on the clips as there is on them. There is als force agains the clips when the window is rolling down. As soon as this seal is broken on either glue, the window is off the tracks. What tom does fixes two things. It ties the window regulator things together, getting rid of the side to side tension on the glue and the window, and uses enough surface area that wood glue would probably work to hold it in. You can't argue with results.

Also if you haven't when you fix your windows, lube the  out of it with white lithium grease. You won't believe how much faster the windows roll up and down after, and how much less load will be on the regulator.

x2

Reply #50
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;389000

Talspooge Powder!!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #51
Quote from: Chrome;389015
x2

Thanks Stacks and Chrome

Note Chrome thanks i miss read your post as usual. Sometimes i read things between the lines incorrectly. I apologize. Have a great weekend Tom

NOTE i have never thought about making parts to sell. Something i might consider. Making parts to overcome a problem is what i like to do. I have a degree in mechanical engineering so my mind works in strange ways. Normally my tinkering is because of poor design by car companies or problems that are unique to older and new  vehicles.  But if i sit idle on a problem it is something i dont do. I always find a fix one way or the other. As far as silicons go GE that invented it claims that color does not make a difference. They do color the product for identification and to satisfy a color base for product matching. But it does not change it's property's as i have asked GE this question years ago. As far as using it in the shop i use it all the time in the repair section of my shop . But FOE you should be informed that body men and body shops avoid the stuff like the PLAGUE. So FOE do me a favor and ask the body guys what they think about SILICONE PRODUCTS IN THEIR SHOP??? Post the answer back!!! Thanks for the suggestion 302 about making parts to sell. But i make so many custom parts i would need a factory. Thank YOU
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Organic solutions

Reply #52
I fix mine with a home made blend of buggers and bong resign. Only problem is while working with it i get hungry and eat it before it sets. I agree with the black rtv however and was going to use it to fix my windows this last time but after replacing my regulator bushings and opting for a gel crazy glue base black rtv top coat i broke my saddle and was running out of time before work so i bonded it back together with loud crazy glue until i could walk away and change before work and only having 2 minutes to spare opted for a temp fix of gorilla glue to get me through the day so once it breaks free I'll be using black rtv and looking for a better grade solution as the front causes the bind and white lithium grease leaves a little mess which wouldn't bother me if it lasted longer than 2 weeks but it don't and I'm too lazy to grease it twice a month.

Reply #53
What?

White lithium lasts way, way, way longer then 2 weeks, and probably much longer then anything you would rather eat then put on window tracks...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #54
Quote from: Haystack;465296
What?
White lithium lasts way, way, way longer then 2 weeks, and probably much longer then anything you would rather eat then put on window tracks...

That was a joke but,
White lithium attracts and collects dust and dirt so if you live or are exposed to them conditions white lithium becomes more like sandpaper than a lube and works its way off. I probably should have also stated I was using white lithium spray lube not white lithium grease from a tube. Either way i dislike white lithium compared to the last thing i just tried as so far using a gel krazy glue at the bottom of the sash clip for holding strength combined with white gorilla glue in-between the window and sash filling up the rest of the sash as white gorilla glue is flexible, adhere's well with plastic and glass while the gel krazy glue takes the pressure away from the white gorilla glue while rolling down the window combined that with pb blaster dry lube spray with Teflon and has been holding nicely for a couple weeks now and set time before window usual was less than 3 hours total. Just like spray white lithium it leaves a little white residue which is also just as easy to run the excess off as the lithium using just your fingers if you want to. Another good spray lube you could use that should last some time without attracting dust and debris is handyman dry lube with ptfe or any other dry lube ptfe lube brands as long as they don't contain anti inhibitors. I just took my door apart again as i didn't have and white lithium conventional lube around and tried getting by with beating grease but that sized my window motor when it was cold and bought the pb blaster with Teflon at the same time so if it lasts a month or more I'll write back but as it had already died in my window seals and prevents total binding on the front part the window at the 95% up point i don't foresee it wasn't away fast anytime soon as Teflon and ptfe are widely used on cooking ware it should last some time i am thinking. Either way can is cheap and easy to apply the gel super glue without white gorilla glue online nicely as I've never going a single worth while application as white gorilla glue has never worked it help in getting to successfully applied without it being free in a couple days to a few weeks. Dry lube is easy to apply, easy to clean and dry to usable for in just a few minutes.