Skip to main content
Topic: deck lid wouldnt stay open (Read 1787 times) previous topic - next topic

deck lid wouldnt stay open

Had a strange one this week.  Got my 83 out of winter storage from my buddies barn last weekend and when I was putting the car cover away in the trunk the dam deck lid wouldn't stay open.

Ever since Ive owned the car I could hit the trunk button and it would pop open on its own and stayed open. After car sat from Oct to March untouched it wouldn't. I actually had to move one of the torsion rods up a notch to get it to stay open again.

Anyone else ever run into this? Just seemed strange
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Reply #1
I have never seen that issue. I did install gas struts on my trunk lid and did away with the torsion rods
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Quote from: vinnietbird;465149
I have never seen that issue. I did install gas struts on my trunk lid and did away with the torsion rods

Pics?
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #3
are the hinges greased? ;)

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;465149

Pics X2, I wanna see how you did that. My deck lid falls shut if the car is parked on any sort of incline.

-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #5

I made mounts for the hinges from steel and added the snap on ball adapters for the strut to hook on to. The floor mounts are just L brackets made for the struts.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
Thanks Vinnie.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #7
Yeah that's pretty slick! I think that's gotta be my next project. Tired of getting hit in the back of the head with the trunk
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #8
I did similar on my '96 XR7 only I welded the mount higher and out of the way.

X
X

Reply #9
adjust the torsion rods,,, and wear gloves.  move one side i think "down" a notch.

or check lube on pivot point.