Skip to main content
Topic: Trans options (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

Trans options

Well after I fix timing cover, water pump issue that came up and put all new front end under my car I should be finally driving it. Next upgrade is for sure trans.

I currently have a c4, looking at AOD or 4r70w. So advise me internet guru's. I can buy a built AOD for around 1600. Or I have a 4r70w out of a 2000 Explorer with a 4x4 tail on it. I found master rebuild for the 4r70w for about 150 and I know a guy that would rebuild it for fairly cheap, so looking at anywhere from 200-400 bucks for that but then I need a full manual VB which is like another 5-600. I have a factory torque convertor from the explorer also. I kind of like firm shifts so not sure how AOD vs 4r70w is going to shift.

My current c4 breaks tires loose 1-2nd shift and 2nd to 3rd shift and will bounce your head off the seat at anything over 2500 rpm, it shifts HARD, would like to to be near there but more street friendly.

SO 2nd question, factory stall with the explorer 4r70w. Will it be livable or a dog? I plan on driving this thing fairly often.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"