Skip to main content
Topic: whichs heads to buy?? (Read 1946 times) previous topic - next topic

whichs heads to buy??

i've been thionkin for a while, and if ya get new heads, arnt they just a bolt on item?  no changing pushrods and they work with ur stock cam right? 

what do u guys suggest who have had some experience with some.  im not lookin at the super fancy stuff, but sumthing taht will be reliable and give me a nice extra load of hp (about 15 are they?)

just wondering what u guys suggest, cuz when i do eventually buy them.... ill be hittin up this msg board ALLL night for some answers  :banana:

thanks

**edit**  shpuld probably mention my car huh?  86 5.0

maybe u guys selling something im lookin for?

Re: whichs heads to buy??

Reply #2
I thought about getting Powerheads.  But they are 700 bucks plus core.  It would probably cost another 100 bucks to ship your old ones back.  I have also heard of people having problems with these heads.  Go on http://www.thecorral.net and do a search for Powerheads.  I personally think a few hundred bucks extra for a set of Trickflows is the way to go.  I am going to get a set as soon as the wife stops spending all my money.
1988 Thunderbird
5.0 HO, t5, TC rear, TC brakes, etc. - Gone

Reply #3
I am going to get a set as soon as the wife stops spending all my money.

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

Its always like that.... :giggle:

Reply #4
Quote from: 88lx50
I thought about getting Powerheads.  But they are 700 bucks plus core.  It would probably cost another 100 bucks to ship your old ones back.  I have also heard of people having problems with these heads.  Go on http://www.thecorral.net and do a search for Powerheads.  I personally think a few hundred bucks extra for a set of Trickflows is the way to go.  I am going to get a set as soon as the wife stops spending all my money.

NO!  :macgun: Trickflow is ! 

Anyways, I dont know about the TW heads but my track heats needed longer push rods and wont work with stock pistons, there not exactly cheep anymore eather. :)

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #5
The regular heads are supposed to work with stock pistons.  I think they also need longer pushrods.  What kind of problems have you had with yours?  I heard that the early ones had valve guide problems but that was supposedly corrected. AFR heads sound like a quality piece, but they are expensive. 

TC50 has them - maybe he could chime in on this one.  He has been running them for a few years.  I know he is building a new engine with more cubes.  I am curious what kind of heads he will be running on it.
1988 Thunderbird
5.0 HO, t5, TC rear, TC brakes, etc. - Gone