Skip to main content
Topic: Steering column loose. Yes, I've used the search function... (Read 1049 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering column loose. Yes, I've used the search function...

So from what I've seen, most suggestions are in relation to the tilt wheel mechanism or the entire column coming loose from the dash panel, this is NOT the case with my bird. The wheel has play in it, but I've taken the column surround off and found that while it's not the steering column shaft that is loose, it is basically the entire blob of plastics and switches and wires and stuff that is attached to the central column that is moving. I've seen one mention of this (from 2008 with no replies) and was hoping someone has recently disassembled their column and could point me in the right direction. It is causing a short to ground situation and has a habit of disabling my AC, ride control and a few other things, not to mention it's incredible annoying driving with a floppy wheel.
'88 Turbocoupe 5 speed.

Re: Steering column loose. Yes, I've used the search function...

Reply #1
Remove the turn signal and hazard flasher stuff. There is basically a metal clam shell that all that stuff bolts to.

There are torx fasteners. Mine usually loosen up when the car hits 100-150k miles. Usually i tighten them until I find what all is loose, then I pull them out one by one and put lock tight in them then put back in.

Its really not all that hard, but a bit of a pain.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: Steering column loose. Yes, I've used the search function...

Reply #2
Remove the turn signal and hazard flasher stuff. There is basically a metal clam shell that all that stuff bolts to.

There are torx fasteners. Mine usually loosen up when the car hits 100-150k miles. Usually i tighten them until I find what all is loose, then I pull them out one by one and put lock tight in them then put back in.

Its really not all that hard, but a bit of a pain.
I kinda figure that was the case, but tightening the two that remain didn't seem to do much. I recently picked up the car and the interior is all held together with ACE hardware...
'88 Turbocoupe 5 speed.