Skip to main content
Topic: new hard drive no msdos.... (Read 4013 times) previous topic - next topic

new hard drive no msdos....

now how do i format a hard drive with no msdos?
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Re: new hard drive no msdos....

Reply #1
Do you have an operating system cd like windows 98/2000/or XP?
If not if you still have the old HD with an OS on it you can slave the drive and use the OS itself to format it.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #2
ok how the hell can u slave a hard drive on a laptop? and i have windows xp pro for an os

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
Stick in the CD and make sure your BIOS boots from it.  You should be able to format and install XP then.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #4
ive tryed that and it still comes up no operating system. also i have only 2 choices when i go into set up. disskette only and boot from drive. i tryed the boot from drive and it tells me no operating system and doesn't load at all. cd rom i use.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #5
Well, lets get to the basics... what type of computer? i.e. brand, processor, floppy drive or not... yada yada.

Reply #6
it is a dell latitude lm 133mghz processor new 20 gig hard drive 84 meg ram i do beive interchangabul drive cd rom is in it now but i can change it to a floppy if neccisary.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #7
Well, that poses a dilema now doesn't it, hmmm. Well my suggestion would be to put the floppy drive in, find a bootable floppy (preferably windows 98). Boot the computer with it and fdisk and format the drive. Once that's done do a sys command from the floppy to the hard drive. This will make the hard drive bootable, then copy the files from the 98 boot disk onto the hard drive. Once that's done swap the cd drive back in and use the hard drive to load the cd-rom and run it. Should work, it's been a while so i'm a bit rusty on dos.

Reply #8
ok heres the one major prob. i have no boot disk at all. now how do i make one?

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #9
What OS are you running on the PC you're using right now?  If it's 98 or you have access to a 98 machine, use it to make a bootable floppy.  That floppy will contain the FDISK tool as well as Generic CD-Rom drivers to get you started.  Do exactly as nirvanagod says after that.

Reply #10
windows xp home on this one on the old hard driv on the laptop windows 98 second edition

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #11
Well, 'nother dillema. Do you have any machines that are windows 98 or know of anyone that does?

Reply #12
Use the old drive for a bit, and don't format it for a while after. It'll come in handy. And if you need help figuring the boot disk thing let us know.

Reply #13
the old one is in there now now where do i find the program to make the bootabul floppy? on 98 and xp

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #14
In 98 you need to go under Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and it's in there under one of the tabs.