Skip to main content
Topic: screw internet explorer :macgun: (Read 2314 times) previous topic - next topic

screw internet explorer :macgun:

I was running ie 6 sp1. talk about a total peice of a$$. I installed this new fire fox thing(just do a google on firefox) and no more pop ups or spyware(the kind that disables the browser). You guys should all check it out, it is only like a 4.5 meg download. this will help alot with the "errors" the windows convenietally gets everytime you get your favorite websites up. p.s. i have noticed that not all java programs will work on this browser.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: screw internet explorer :macgun:

Reply #1
Firefox is da shiznit, (although keep IE around when some sites don't load up properly)
Defintly like the multiple web page tabs, you click a link with the middle button and close it with the middle button.

Reply #2
The only things I like about Explorer are that it seems to be a lot more compatible with some sites (this one included) and that the newest version blocks popups now.

Just a quick example of compatibility: Look at these screenshots. The first one is the "advanced reply" box taken under FireFox. Notice how the light-colored box (including the smilies) extends beyond the dark borders on the right side, and how there are relatively few graphical options (buttons) in the text editor. This text editor, BTW, does not have WSIWYG capabilities in FireFox. You see raw UBB code instead of seeing, formatting and typing your reply as others will see them:

...And on the second screenshot, taken with IE, you can see the text box area fits much better and there are more buttons. Also, you have WYSIWYG capabilities here. Aside from that, IE sucks though:

I do like FireFox's far superior password and cookie manager as well as the tabbed browsing though...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
tabbed browsing is the bestest!!! XD

lol. i used to loathe those "blimishes" with Moziila/Firefox but zero crashes/lockups and tabbed browsing more than make up for it. *nod* Oh...and download manager too. ^_^
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #4
I've heard quite a few people complain about internet exploder but I've never had a problem :dunno: or atleast one that I could trace to explorer anyway. I like the way its set up, I know where everything is so its gonna stay. firefox looks kinda like a knock off of internet explorer  :slap:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #5
Firefox seems to try to make the page fit to screen while IE just draws it so you have to scroll horizontally (load them side by side and see for yourself). The parts of the forum that are scalable are scaled in Firefox but not IE. Not a problem for me though since I run at 16x12 res.

There's some additions lately to firefox I like and some I wish weren't there though. They've been adding a TON of features since around the time they changed the browser name from firebird to firefox. Linux got me running firebird originally, then when I had to go back to windows, i felt so alone so went and got firebird for windows  :D

Adblock plugin > *
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #6
Wow... center button trick.  Neat.  And I thought I knew Firefox.

Reply #7
Basically the web is written for IE because of the perception that it's the most used (last figure I heard was 92%, down from 94% a few years ago), plus a lot of web designers and programmers use M$ programs (FrontPage, ASP.NET, etc) and are presumptuous that everyone else is using IE. This is good and bad...if IE was getting updated on any platform, and M$ actually gave it modern features like tabbed browsing and pop-up blocking, plus trimmed it down from the bloatware that it is, more people would stick with it. Instead it's losing ground, which is being attributed to Firefox and other alternative browsers.

Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape are all written around the same emerging browser core code (KHTML), so this board should technically look the same on all 3 of them. Same goes for Apple's Safari. I view this site via Safari and the boxes do shift like Carm's screenshots above. The WYSIWYG feature doesn't work on Safari either. But for stability and speed I wouldn't trade Safari or Firefox for anything. They're indispensible in my web designing toolbox.

Reply #8
:bowdown: Mozilla user here, will never go back to the :bs: that is IE...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6