Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution II.....SEFI upgrade ..... updated 10-23-2015 (Read 117723 times) previous topic - next topic

Evolution II.....SEFI upgrade ..... updated 10-23-2015

I just wanted to start this thread now, because there will be things that I will repair or upgrade as time allows.

I'll start off with the details of the car that I have at the moment..
I will update the info as I find more out about the car

1985 Cougar Base model W/ 5.0 V8 CFI  85,000 original miles
Built in Lorain, OH
Production line # 75962
Converted by Car Craft in 1985. It's #14 out of ??
I guess there are about 16 known to be made.. no one really knows for sure.

It lived  it's life in Illinois at least 10 years before Bear bought it a few years ago in Florida, and that's where it's been until March of this year.

I'm also waiting for Bears official list of upgrades done to the car while he had it.
Here's a start of the list of upgrades.....

Rear end:
89 lincoln track lock from a Bill Blass Edition  w/ disk brakes
CHE tubular uppers and lowers with Energy Suspension Bushings

Front End: TC and Mark VII parts with Energy Suspension Bushings

5 lug Wheels: Factory 16-195 Cobra's. I put brand new rubber on them before It left Florida.

The back wing w/ upper brake light came from a 92 Nissan Sentra.

Speedo was upgraded from digi to buttstuffog. Along with brushed dash bezels

Rotary AC/ Heater was upgraded from mustang, (95 I think)

pop out coin and cup holders came from a 95 Taurus

Steering wheel was upgraded to a XR7 wheel

So since I have had the car. I've had to put in 3 point seat belts to pass safety inspection. So I didn't have to cut the original panels in the back seat, I decided to mount them to the floor to pass Inspection. They will probably be moved once the car goes through it's make over.

I also did the usual tune up/ timing  and routine  checking of the car after it's 1000 mile journey across the east coast.
here's the pic of that day with all the  connected to the motor.

Also put an exhaust system on it to pass inspection.

Here's some more pics of what bear had done to it.

Yesterday I put air shocks on the back. I's improved the ride tremendously, and is keeping the tires from rubbing in the wells.
 heres a before

And an after

It could probably come down a little.

I also installed my Bosh light from the 80s the other day.
They still need to be wired and adjusted,

That's all for right now, Mabe I'll add some stuff later tonight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1
Sometiems I wonder if you even get any sleep at night you have like a bajillion projects to juggle

Reply #2
HA! I KNEW that was the car. LOL.

Cool, congrats.

Reply #3
Very cool! Never seen a convertible, that must of been the conversion by Car Craft? I am starting to wounder the same thing as baxo, do you ever go to bed? lol

What are your plans for it, just a driver?

after looking at the pics again i can see where rust is bubbling threw the paint so this will be an other repair job aye?

Reply #4
The plans are to do some more upgrades, replace anything that needs it, and do a full paint strip and repair any panels that need it. and of course a new coat of paint.
I will drive it on the sunny days. LOL

And welcome to the site.... I see you made it over alright
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
A quick shot of changing the flex lines and installing new rubber inserts for the caliper bolts and brake pad retaining clips

I replaced all the flex lines in the rear due to dry rotting

Yes I know, it's dirty. I'll take care of all that another time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
Quote from: daminc;270448

And welcome to the site.... I see you made it over alright

Thanks, Yeah it didn't hurt to bad. I'm going to wait till I get the engine and tranny out before I start cutting metal on my project. I was planning on removing the dash but as I type this I am wondering if I should leave it in for support. I will have to at least temporary move it to get the under seat vents removed.

Reply #7
I really like the lines on those cars with the tops up.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #8
Wow ic, that thing is going to be just amazing. You sir, are my hero.

Reply #9
Quote from: NoReflection;270459
Thanks, Yeah it didn't hurt to bad. I'm going to wait till I get the engine and tranny out before I start cutting metal on my project. I was planning on removing the dash but as I type this I am wondering if I should leave it in for support. I will have to at least temporary move it to get the under seat vents removed.

Post some pics after you remove the interior and we'll see what you have, or "don't have" so to speak.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
Quote from: Chuck W;270462
I really like the lines on those cars with the tops up.

the coolest part, is the way the back window slopes back. It changes the entire look of the car
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
So the other day I had decided to pull the side mouldings off, because they were starting to curl, and the piece behind the door didn't match the rest.
After I got it off and started to get the 3M tape residue off the door, I realized that when the car was painted, the masked the trim and mouldings to paint the car. So now there's a n Oxford white stripe down the center of the door on a white pearl car. LOL .....I guess I'll have to put the moulding back on until I redo the car.

I've also noticed that the car is only 3" shorter then my 87. But it feels like it's a foot shorter for some reason
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
i miss my car .....and she looks naked with out the molding.hmmm topless and naked i like it keep up the good work bro and yes the air shocks look great
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
Hey, how did this get so sticky already? I haven't really done anything to it yet. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
I made the thread sticky where there were just two posts in it. You can't have one of your cars' threads sticky and the other one not! That's just wrong. Besides...we know you're going to tear into this one eventually, and for those that have never seen a convertible it's going to be a really great opportunity to see how it was made.

You've already attained legendary status here. I just made sure that this thread can carry on that tradition. ;)