Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Caps (Read 2142 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash Caps

Which dash caps do you guys use? The DashTops ones? The red eBay ones are terrible - I'm not sure what to do with mine. Look at this hideous thing:

The color is off (even more brown than the original) and the texture is absolutely huge.

What color is the lower part of the dash and the door panels? I'd prefer to get a pad that's the same lower color as I was never fond of the upper dash color on the two tone ones. All colors are different on different monitors so I'm not sure if it's any of the three: Napa Red, Fire Thorn Red, or Portola Red. Perhaps I should just dye one myself?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Dash Caps

Reply #1
You need to trim them,and,you can dye them any color you want.The texture may be different,but,it's better than those ugly cracks that all of our cars have,or will have soon.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Dash Caps

Reply #2
The fitment isn't bad on this one, but the texture is. I'd also prefer the bright red.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Dash Caps

Reply #3
The two tone red looks great.As far as the texture,It's one of those little "learn to live with it" things that no-one will ever notice but us who installed the caps.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Dash Caps

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;268372
As far as the texture,It's one of those little "learn to live with it" things that no-one will ever notice but us who installed the caps.

Yet the ones on Cool Cats has a grain that looks just like the factory. Some are just being lazier than others...

So where did those ones come from? There are other eBay ones that claim factory grain and of course the one I bought didn't...

Has anyone tried the "maroon" or "red" from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-88-Ford-Mercury-Dash-Cover-Cap-Cougar-Thunderbird_W0QQitemZ190261390376QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item190261390376&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318 ? I'm fine with spraying it with vinyl paint myself but having it done already is always nice.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Dash Caps

Reply #5
Mine has a factory style grain to it.I bought it from Ebay a couple of years ago.I still need to bond it to the dash.I haven't tried that dye from Ebay,but I did use some from Autozone with great results.

Dash Caps

Reply #6
Hmmm...that color isn't bad. I believe the exact match for 1987-88 red interiors would be Firethorn; it is, at least, with carpeting.

I do see your point about the grain, and the fit and finish. I have used both a dashcaps.com and dashtop.com cover before. Both had good grain. I had to trim the dashtop.com one around the speaker grilles and defroster vents (see here), but the dashcaps.com one I did not. Both fit almost perfectly right out of the box, with just minor tpuppies needed (and it's obvious).

The only major problem that I had: the dashcaps.com one was a little short on the driver's side part of the dash. I had to use some paint to fill in below it. Kinda peed me off, but otherwise I couldn't complain.

Whatever brand you used...I've never seen that before...

Dash Caps

Reply #8
I purchased one and I am going to dye it myself.  I have dyed a number of interior parts and the match is almost perfect.  I have an 85 thunderbird, and the interior color is Light canyon red.  (there is a dark canyon red that is more burgendy)
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Dash Caps

Reply #10
Okay, so it's sounding like the Dashtops in fire thorn red may be my best bet, is this correct? Is that color the original two tone color or the rest of the interior? I know it won't be perfect but there's no way I'll deal with this weird texture. The pictures actually make it look better than in person - I need to get a shot of the entire pad sitting on it - it's just off...and shiny.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Dash Caps

Reply #11
I just did this recently. I took my glove compartment door off and brought it to my local paint shop so they could make me half a pint of perfectly matched paint(interior paint). It cost me about $23. I got my cover from dash tops but I will make sure to check the grain tonight.

Dash Caps

Reply #12
I took a look at my dashcap... and it has the same grain.  Does anybody have one with smaller grain?  And where did you get it??  Thanks!!!!!!
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Dash Caps

Reply #13
Just checked one queued for installation.  It has a texture more coarse than the factory dash, but I'm not sure if it's as coarse as yours.  Not sure how the light in your pic is emphasizing the grain.  Yours looks rougher.  Mine is from Dashcaps, got it close to two years ago.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dash Caps

Reply #14
Well I just checked mine and the texture is not as fine as factory but I don't think you would ever notice unless someone pointed it out. I'll take a pic as soon as I install it