Skip to main content
Topic: You will think I lost my mind (Bumper Repair) (Read 1068 times) previous topic - next topic

You will think I lost my mind (Bumper Repair)

but there is a method to my madness. Since I am putting big block motor in my 87 Turbo Coupe I am trying to shuffle some weight around to achieve a better weight balance. One of the things I am doing is moving the motor back as far as I can without modifying the firewall. The other thing I am doing is stretching the wheelbase 1-1/2" forward. Moving the front wheels forward isn't the difficult part. Moving the wheel well openings isn't a difficult thing for me either. Just some sheet metal work. Moving the openings forward means that I will have to shorten the TC front bumper cover fender apr0ns. I have never done any type of work on a bumper cover like this. What material is the bumper cover made of and does anyone have any recommendations on a plastics welder or materials to do the job? I do have an old spare one that is in bad shape to practice on. Thanks
Bill

Reply #1
i seen a 6" extended glass nose somewere.

The lenth should be added behind the wheel well on the fender to preserve the asthetics of the factory lines.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
Hairy Glass has  2" extend front end. Yes the 2 inches is from the cowl to opening, but it also lengthens the whole front clip. The distance from front of bumper to front of opening is same as factory. I don't know if the average person would even notice the opening moved forward. I eye balled it some tonight, but ran out of time so tomorrow after my turkey nap I will go back out and take some measurements.

Reply #3
I seen an extended length fenders, and hood in fiberglass somewhere, too, but now I'm suffering from CRS syndrome.
1987 TC

Reply #4
Extending the front nose would look pretty sweet, especialy if the car is lowered a bit. I'm assuming they are fiberglass, but do they have them for cougars as well? Can nthey be made to look street legal?

Reply #5
Sorry all they list is Tbird stuff.
http://www.hairyglass.com/thunderbird.html
Keep in mind I am building this for a street legal class and have to keep all the lighting equipment.
The car will have a definite rake to the stance for aero purposes.
One more thing I have thought about is in moving the spindle centerline forward the upper strut mount is not move. Is this is going to screw with the cast settings? I need to talk to someone at Maximum Motors to see what they say about it.

Reply #6
Quote from: Hillbilly Deluxe;189256
I need to talk to someone at Maximum Motors to see what they say about it.

Good luck with that. I've called them a few times over the past few months. I get transfered to voicemail by the auto-answer, leave a message and no one calls back. Sent e-mails but never got a reply.