Skip to main content
Topic: '85 C5 to '87 AOD swap in '85 Cougar (Read 1739 times) previous topic - next topic

'85 C5 to '87 AOD swap in '85 Cougar

Sorry guys but I hate not having an OD gear.  Besides, I think this tranny will need work soon and I have a spare AOD in my basp00get with 50K on the last rebuild.

Since I already have an AOD, and the rear main seal is leaking, I figured it would be nicer to drive it onto a lift and do all this work rather than wait until I have to have it towed.

The AOD is out of an '87 column-shift 3.8 CFI LS.  The car I want to put it in is a column shift '85 3.8 CFI GS that has the original C5 3-speed transmission.

Everyone seems to be taking the C5 out and going with a manual so has anyone gone from a C5 to AOD?  I'm wondering what bolts up and what doesn't like torque converter, bell housing, spline count, kickdown rod vs cable and whatever else.

Here are the two cars. I want to put the AOD that came out of the top car into the bottom one.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #1
As far as I know the AOD is derived from the C5 much like the new 5 speed auto Mustang transmissions are derived from the AOD.  The AOD should bolt right up without a hitch.  Driveshaft length may vary, however, but you should be able to find that easily enough if you don't have one already.  I can only guess that the crossmember may be different as well.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
Then there's the shift linkage (Haynes shows AOD trans lever pointing up, C5 down), and the TV linkage so the AOD doesn't burn up in the first 3 miles. Does the column have the right number of "quadrants" so you can get *all* the gears?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #3
I did that EXACT swap on my '85.  Had to cut the welds on the Cross member bushings and slid them back to the ends and reweld. and elongate the holes.  (just get the Xmember from the other car.)

Reply #4
I did that EXACT swap on my '85.  Had to cut the welds on the Cross member bushings and slid them back to the ends and reweld. and elongate the holes.  (just get the Xmember from the other car.)

Reply #5
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
Driveshaft length may vary, however, but you should be able to find that easily enough if you don't have one already.

Yeah, I can find one in my back yard.

Quote from: MasterBlaster
Then there's the shift linkage (Haynes shows AOD trans lever pointing up, C5 down), and the TV linkage so the AOD doesn't burn up in the first 3 miles. Does the column have the right number of "quadrants" so you can get *all* the gears?

Yeah, the AOD shift indicator goes
P R N O D 1 and the C5 goes
P R N D 2 1 so it would seem to me the column shifter goes through the same positions for each transmission.  I would think the linkage that runs from the column down the firewall and to the trans would be the same and the difference wouldn't be until you get inside the transmission.  But that's why I'm asking first because my pea-brain logic doesn't follow Ford corporate bean-counter logic.

Quote from: 1WLD BRD

Uh, like is that the only thing you had to change?  Everything else matched up?  If so, that's kickass.

My last fill up registered over 27 mpg.  I'm hoping an AOD swap will get me close to 30 like I got in my 87 LS.  Did you see an improvement in gas mileage?
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #6
Anyone know if the AOD torque converter will bolt up to the C5 flexplate??

Reply #7
Anyone know if the AOD torque converter will bolt up to the C5 flexplate??

According to the site below they are different part #'s, but are of equal size, 14.23 inches in diameter.  I have no idea on the bolt holes....Is there a balance weight difference?
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=FLYcatalogFORD
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
I did the 4.2L V8 swap at the same time and that was basically the only thing we changed.  had to shim the linkage bracket where it bolts to the tranny to get a proper alignment, but that was no big deal.

Been so long ago that I don't really remember everything involvede, but I am pretty sure that was it.  Same driveshaft, and I did use the flexplate off the 3.8L/C5 on the 4.2L/AOD, after I broke the stock one.

Reply #9
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
According to the site below they are different part #'s, but are of equal size, 14.23 inches in diameter.  I have no idea on the bolt holes....Is there a balance weight difference?
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=FLYcatalogFORD

Yes there are two pt#s but each say C5/AOD and are 14.23", must be a blance issue..

Reply #10
Quote from: 1WLD BRD
I did the 4.2L V8 swap at the same time and that was basically the only thing we changed.  had to shim the linkage bracket where it bolts to the tranny to get a proper alignment, but that was no big deal.

Been so long ago that I don't really remember everything involvede, but I am pretty sure that was it.  Same driveshaft, and I did use the flexplate off the 3.8L/C5 on the 4.2L/AOD, after I broke the stock one.

4.2 V8?  Where did you get one of those?

Paul, the New Mustang auto 5 speed is not derived from the AOD.  It is actually in the A4LD family.  Its a 5R55, which is the same as what came out of the '02 and newer Explorers.
Matt :tg:

Reply #11
the 4.2L was out of an '81 Cougar XR-7