Skip to main content
Topic: Help! I need a tranny and have ?'s (Read 3410 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! I need a tranny and have ?'s

I am needing a t-5 for my silver 88TC.  will a V8 tranny from a mustang work up to 95?  will a t-45 work? I have located several but I am unsure of the compatibility.

Reply #1
You're restricted to 83-93 v8 tranny's. The 94-95 used a longer input shaft, they can be used but you'll need to swap in an earlier V8 input shaft. They also used an electric speedo hookup that doesn't match the TC. The T-45 is a total no go. Uses a bellhousing that actually forms the front cover of the trans body.
You will need to have the pilot on the end of the V8 input shaft turned down to use it behind the 2.3.
A standard 4cyl. trans will work absolutely fine too.
V8 T5's came in two flavors. 3.35 or 2.95 first gear, with an overdrive ratio you may not like behind the 2.3, unless you like downshift for every small hill. In my opinion, for a daily driver, your best bet would be a 4cyl. unit.
BTW, PM on some details on the tranny's you find and don't want.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #2
what Jangus said is correct, the piolt bearing nub is too big to fit behind a 2.3 with out some work

here is a chart on the T5 you will find helpfull
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm

the 2.3 NA mustang will bolt right in and work with out issues
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #3
unless you want to get the v-8 one and ill trade ya for it.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #4
Quote from: Cougar8775;334488
unless you want to get the v-8 one and ill trade ya for it.

nice try buddy :D

Reply #5
The other option you have is to have your crank milled out to accept the V8 pilot bearing. If you did that to your crank you could then run either a V8 or and I4
T5 with the use of a V8 pilot bearing for running the V8-T5 or you would run a V8 pilot bearing with a brass shim for the I4-T5
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #6
not having any luck :(  found 3 one guy wants $300-$350 for his and the other two wont answer or return my calls

Reply #7
Quote from: bigbada1;334531
The other option you have is to have your crank milled out to accept the V8 pilot bearing. If you did that to your crank you could then run either a V8 or and I4
T5 with the use of a V8 pilot bearing for running the V8-T5 or you would run a V8 pilot bearing with a brass shim for the I4-T5

couldnt the crank be drilled to accept the V8 pilot bearing?

Reply #8
well i do have the trans you despratly want.... And i need a v-8 trans for my swap.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #9
Quote from: Cougar8775;334572
well i do have the trans you despratly want.... And i need a v-8 trans for my swap.

John, I have a C6 and a shortened D shaft if your interested. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
Graham,

How soon are you needing one. I've got several, but I won't be passing by your area until Thanksgiving.

John
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #11
jerry id like to keep it 5 speed if at all possible. If i don't find the v-8 5 speed i need i can just find the different bell and clutch fork and let it ride( till it goes boom!). lol

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #12
Quote from: 88turbo;334536

I wouldn't try it myself (just drilling the crank) if it were drilled just a little off it would cause issues like lining up the input shaft not to mention if you did actually get the input shaft in and it was putting things in a bind. I was going to do this to my last 2.3 but ended up swapping in a 302 instead of rebuilding the 2.3
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #13
Quote from: 88turbo;334536

I wouldn't try it myself (just drilling the crank) if it were drilled just a little off it would cause issues like lining up the input shaft not to mention if you did actually get the input shaft in and it was putting things in a bind. I was going to do this to my last 2.3 but ended up swapping in a 302 instead of rebuilding the 2.3 I would have a machine shop mill the crank if it were me
87 TC

Reply #14
I have bought a few parts from these guys before and they seem to be straight shooters

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/1924357040.html
87 TC