Skip to main content
Topic: new guy needs a lil help (Read 1615 times) previous topic - next topic

new guy needs a lil help

well im new here ive been browsing for quite a while now, my question is, i have put a rebuilt aod tranny in my car and need to know how to adjust the linkage, like all the gears work and engage but te dont line up rite on y column
88 5.0 tbird, bbk shorties, new aod, short ram intake, msd ignition, soon to be full H.O.

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #1
I had that problem when I swapped in a mustang AOD never did get the dam thing to line up right
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #2
ok well it dont bother all that much, and this tranny is out of a lincoln so idk
88 5.0 tbird, bbk shorties, new aod, short ram intake, msd ignition, soon to be full H.O.

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #3
What do you mean exactly by they don't line up on the column. Are you referring to where the PRND21 indicator lines up to match the gear it is in, or is it in the wrong gear according to the detents in the steering column when it is moved up and down?

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #4
x2 for the above post,,
if it all works fine but the indicator does not line up just as your saying then................

remove the column covers
locate a white plastic band around sterring housing
loosen tiny bolt (if required)
rotate the white band a little to line up the display.

that easy.

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #5
thanks guys and yea everything works fine its just the indicator that is off

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #6
Yep Mine is the same way but I rember that when its in reverse its actually in OD. and when its in park it could be ether in Park or reverse and when in OD its in Low. lol

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #7
break off the bolt part and throw a large hose clamp or two around it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #8
Quote from: Haystack;313095
break off the bolt part and throw a large hose clamp or two around it.

Yep a hose clamp will do a great job! I did that on my 85 Tbird. Which reminds me since I switched to a digital cluster on my 84, I gotta get a hose clamp to secure mine. I tried using a zip tie like I have done before using the original cluster and PRND21 indicator but this particular one does not have the guide pin inside of the collar ring that engages in the slot in the steering column shaft. So I need something that will adjust it tighter so the ring does not slip.

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #9
Lols I wish mine didn't line up! Mine doesn't move at all, cause some dumbass named ME cut the line in half and can't find a replacement.:punchballs:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #10
Quote from: sarjxxx;313126
Lols I wish mine didn't line up! Mine doesn't move at all, cause some dumbass named ME cut the line in half and can't find a replacement.:punchballs:

I have had to repair the ones I have had recently. They always seem to break where the cable comes out of the bottom of the cluster. A couple of small holes drilled in the bottom of the cluster and a small zip tie secures the sleeve back in place pretty good. It does have to be positioned in such a way that the cable inside the sleeve does not bind.

If you break a cable in half, you can find a donor cluster from almost any 80's era Ford with the shift indicator and adapt the cable to fit into place and function properly.

new guy needs a lil help

Reply #11
The ring on the column could be split as well, that's happened on mine and I think may have again. I was able to find a couple at the jy and replace it once, now I might be replacing it again. Good thing I have extras. You can also do as mentioned above with hose clamps.