Skip to main content
Topic: 5 Lug conversion on an '88 XR-7 w/8.8" (Read 1478 times) previous topic - next topic

5 Lug conversion on an '88 XR-7 w/8.8"

Ok guys I just read the entire thread on 7.5 - 8.8 axles, but there wasn't one mention of the cougar 8.8"  is it the same size as the TC 8.8"? 

from what I have read mustang axles will work, so I can use the 5 lug conversion kit from FRPP for the fox body stang, right?  So 2 passenger side ranger axles and ranger drums should work then. my wheel should be in the stock location with this swap right?

Thanks for any info.

Reply #1
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;161852

from what I have read mustang axles will work, so I can use the 5 lug conversion kit from FRPP for the fox body stang, right?  So 2 passenger side ranger axles and ranger drums should work then. my wheel should be in the stock location with this swap right?
Thanks for any info.

No.  The housing is the shorter Mustang housing yes...but the axles are the longer Tbird/Cougar ones (same length as 94-98 Mustang).  Fox Mustang axles will pull the wheels in 3/4" per side.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
so the axles from a '94-'98 will work and keep the tires in the stock location?

Reply #3
Finding the proper drums will be the issue.

Reply #4
well .

I dont have that disc brake bracket so I shouldn't be able to do the disc conversion at the same time with all the stuff from the SN-95 rear should I?  I would like to upgrade the rear to disc's at the same time soo....
any info on that would be great

Reply #5
Ron,get yourself a set of moser axles like i did.
About 320 shipped and they will make them in whatever lug,length and hub size you want.

Reply #6
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;161860
well .

I dont have that disc brake bracket so I shouldn't be able to do the disc conversion at the same time with all the stuff from the SN-95 rear should I?  I would like to upgrade the rear to disc's at the same time soo....
any info on that would be great

can you repeat that in english?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #7
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;162061
can you repeat that in english?

Nevermind. I'll just use dominator's idea.

Reply #8
Why don't you just try and find the brake parts from a V6/GT SN-95 rear axle and grab the axles as well?

Yes you would also need the brackets that bolt to the housing, but again, if you're taking all the parts off the donor, then they are easy to get.

Then you will have 5-lug and disks that will work with that axle housing you have and keep the same overall width.

Reply #9
k thats what I originally asked that foxbird didn't understand.  Thanks Chuck!