Skip to main content
Topic: '88 Turbo Coupe, a few questions... (Read 893 times) previous topic - next topic

'88 Turbo Coupe, a few questions...

1) Has anyone restored their 1/4 glass black molding?

I was thinking I could use a two-part urethane repair product to fill in and smooth all of the little cracks. Anyone ever try this, or have a better idea?

2) Has anyone tried or succeeded at taking the tail lights apart in order to clean them?

3) Anyone know of a good source for NOS parts? I am looking for inner and outer front marker lights.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #1
Well as for the taillights, it's a booger but doable LOL. I think someone on here. Can provide pictures to show u. I haven't tried on mine yet but I'll need to replace my drivers side cuz it was cracked from ice. NOS? Like the real nitrous?

Reply #2
Nahh, he doesn't mean nitrous...NOS in this instance refers to New Old Stock....in short, new parts that are still sealed in factory packaging, but original, never-been-used. Hence the term new old stock...usually sounded out by letters, not "nawsss like those dumbasses said it in all the farts of the furious films lol

As for taillights (getting back to topic) yeah, they can be carefully taken apart, and put back together, provided you don't destroy the little metal clips, and use some sort of caulking...I used ordinary clear silicon with less than fabulous results...i think if you could devise a way to "squeeze" the 2 main parts together, and use a stronger adhesive/sealer, such as the black stuff, it'd work quite a bit better.

I have no idea on the window molding.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;292864
As for taillights (getting back to topic) yeah, they can be carefully taken apart, and put back together, provided you don't destroy the little metal clips, and use some sort of caulking...I used ordinary clear silicon with less than fabulous results...i think if you could devise a way to "squeeze" the 2 main parts together, and use a stronger adhesive/sealer, such as the black stuff, it'd work quite a bit better.

OK, so they are put together in a similar manner as the Fox-Mustang tail lights. I rebuilt a set of those utilizing black RTV and many zip ties to hold them until it dried.

Thanks for the info!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #4
Taillights aren't too bad. I've taken a few apart by soaking them in hot water for 30 minutes to soften the sealant. Some recommend putting them in the oven, but I've never been brave enough to do that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
next time you do window clips, have a set of tail lights ready to go back together. I used that window weld stuff on my window. As long as its over about 60 degree's when it dry's, it becomes hard stuff. I physically cannot pry the window away from the clip after 24 hours of the window being rolled up. It would probably look just like a bead of silicone, but act like some type of plastic weld.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com