Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Windows (Read 1833 times) previous topic - next topic

Electric Windows

Ive got electric windows in my 86 Tcoupe, not sure if the Birds ever came with manual crank windows at all. Wondering if anyone has ever converted the electric to manual?
I'm stripping the car for a track car, and want to cut the weight, but able to crank the glass....until down the road when I go lexan.

Thanks

Electric Windows

Reply #1
i looked into this when i fist got my 87 T. It was an uber-rare option to get crank windows, only a handful have been spotted, and apparently, the crank window setup weighs more than the power window setup.  Also, Fox body mustang cranks are different.

Hope that helps.

sincerely,
A guy who likes crank windows.

Electric Windows

Reply #2
I have seen two sets of hand crank Windows on the 83-86 cars and one on the 87-88 cars.these were pretty much only on the stripper models with no passenger side mirror and no options. I have a set I swapped onto my 86 cougar off an 83 or 84. The other only set I've seen? On my first car, which was one of those stripper models.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Electric Windows

Reply #3
The manuals probably are heavier....I know the doors on my 67 Mustang are not light with manual guts....maybe I will do like the old pro stock guys did...disconnect the motors, regulators and rig a strap/latch...pull it up, latch it. LOL...Lexan is looking better and better.

Electric Windows

Reply #4
I've got, or had a set of manual window doors from an 87-8 Tbird. I hesitate to mention it because I'm not sure if I sped them when I purged a lot of  the  I had. IIRC, the door skins were utter shiznit, but I was keeping them strictly for the cranks and related bits.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Electric Windows

Reply #5
Quote from: bootleggers deluxe;464518
i looked into this when i fist got my 87 T. It was an uber-rare option to get crank windows, only a handful have been spotted, and apparently, the crank window setup weighs more than the power window setup.  Also, Fox body mustang cranks are different.

Hope that helps.

sincerely,
A guy who likes crank windows.

Wasn't a uber rare option... It was rare that a combo package which included PW & other desirable features was not ordered... Ford packaged options in such a way that if you ordered a couple things you wanted, was probably as cheap to get complete package...

I've seen a '88 Sport without PW...

Electric Windows

Reply #6
Out of 15 cars I've owned and hundreds I've seen junkyarding, I've only seen one. Id call that rare.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Electric Windows

Reply #7
I'd call it uncommon, but not rare.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Electric Windows

Reply #8
Ok , how about uncommonly rare?  :hick: 

Ive got a vent window manual window Bird. Dont know how many of those are out there.

Electric Windows

Reply #9
as an odd coincidence, i actually just got a passenger side parts door that was a crank window door.  has the mirror delete on it.  Now, if i could only find the drivers crank, i dont care about the weight, i just like crank windows!

Electric Windows

Reply #10
I had two 83 cougars with crank windows. One was a no-options v6, the other was a weirdly-optioned V8.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7