Skip to main content
Topic: (New Goodies)Need Your Opinion on Headlight Color!(Lots of Pics) (Read 33181 times) previous topic - next topic

(New Goodies)Need Your Opinion on Headlight Color!(Lots of Pics)

Reply #30
looking all pretty pretty now!
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #31
can you smooth the original lenses?

Reply #32
That is some quality work, and the silver background is a great choice for your color car! I hope the corners and inner lenses come out well for a finished look.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #33
The set! :D:D:D I can't wait to make the second set and use what I learned from the first set.

Quote from: lakenheath24;381726
can you smooth the original lenses?

Anything is possible, but I can not think of a good way to make them clear, smooth, and flat. Besides then your back to dealing with that irritating faded yellow plastic. The plastic I used is "guaranteed" not to fade for ten years. Of course that warranty is most likely voided with what I done with it.

There was a guy earlier in this thread that said he smoothed out the inside of his lenses, maybe he will chime in.

Quote from: gumby;381727
That is some quality work, and the silver background is a great choice for your color car! I hope the corners and inner lenses come out well for a finished look.

Thanks! There is some imperfections but nothing that your normal car guy is going to notice. The next set will be better, the vacuum forming process is very new to me and with every new pull I get better at it.
...and there was light!

Reply #34
hmm.. how exactly does this vacuum forming process work? the possibility of brand new tail light lenses excites me :hick:

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #35
Go to Youtube and search it, you will get the idea very quickly. It is basically heating plastic to almost the melting point then using vacuum to pull the plastic around your mold.

:D
...and there was light!

Reply #36
woooooowww. I bet you are just happy as a clam! That is awesome it makes it look like a modern headlight when driving. To be honest though, I just couldn't stand the eyedea (<-- get it hahahah) of having those lights in my front end. They look awesome when your holding them or they're set out, but I just don't like them on the car. But hey the light output really helps make up for it. I'm glad you like it. I think personally I will stick with NOS and a properly aimed HID kit though. As for you, I think a thread in the Vendor's Section may be in order ;)
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #37
Quote from: sarjxxx;381770
I just couldn't stand the eyedea (<-- get it hahahah)

:facepalm: :shakehead

Reply #38
Nice work!

What kind of plastic is it? Polycarbonate?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #39
They turned out really nice! Are you planning on making some to sell?

Reply #40
How hard would it be to get you to make more of those lenses?  I did mine the hard way, and I don't like how they turned out. 
I removed mine and used 80 grit to grind down the diffusions inside then I used 320, then 500, 800, 1500, a 2000 trizact pad, and then a buffing pad and rubbing compound.  It would have turned out better had the lenses not been 24 years old and filled with little micro cracks.

Reply #41
I could definitely make some more lenses, with each set I get better at it. I have been working through some wiring bugs for the projectors,they keep flipping to high beam on there own :(, the company I purchased the kit from is sending me a new relay and wiring harness to see if that takes care of the issues.

...and there was light!

Reply #42
Don't use their relays, they're not needed on your car.
Power the ballasts directly from the low-beam circuit of the 9004 connector, and wire the shutters to the high-beam circuit at the 9004 connector. After that, how you proceed depends on what lighting system you have. If you have standard (without auto dim and with or without autolamps) you'll want to find the wiring from the multi-function switch and short R/Y and R/Bk together. This way, when you switch to high, the HIDs will stay lit rather that open the shutter and shut off the ballasts.  If you have autolamp and auto dim (you'll have a light sensor hanging in front of the mirror) like I have, you"ll do the same thing except you'll make the mod at the headlight dimming relay.  The way I did it, was to remove about a half an inch of insulation from both circuits where they run side by side and use a single strand of wire to wrap around the two where they're both now bare, then fill the 'splice' with solder and cover with tape. This also works for guys who have regular headlights and just want brighter high beams. 
It just takes a strand of wire and a wire strippers. Easy.

Reply #43
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the R/Y and R/BK?

This car doesn't have auto lamps or auto dimmers. It's plain jane! :D
...and there was light!

Reply #44
Red/Yellow red with a yellow tracer stripe, red with a black tracer stripe.  I apologize for shorthanding, I'm the primary electrical tech at a Ford dealer and sometimes I just can't help it. 
You should find those 2 wires on your car near the turn signal switch, but I'd work with them a little bit further away from there, like at the base of the column. That's really all you need to do to not need TRS's relay kit.