Skip to main content
Topic: 88 turbocoupe light switches into a 86 t-bird (Read 1839 times) previous topic - next topic

88 turbocoupe light switches into a 86 t-bird

does anyone know if i could do replace my panel dim switch & light switch with the panel dim,lights, auto dim, autolamp, & foglamp switches. And would i need to redo some wiring ?

Re: 88 turbocoupe light switches into a 86 t-bird

Reply #1
As Far as I know, the switches will be the same as long as your car has similar options (an auto dim switch will do nothing on a car without that feature).  I've used swtiches from my 85 in my 87.  I don't know why it wouldn't work in reverse.  Maybe someone can verify?
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #2
well i took out my 2 switches, i only had wiring for them 2 switches no extra connectors or anything.

Reply #3
theres another whole set of wiring, sensors and all kinds of stuff involved with those dials to make them function

you can easily mount them to make them look neat, i did that with some TC ride control switches for a while
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
I had none of the auto stuff in my cougar and I robbed the harnesses out of a parts car and got them to auto on and off, but I never got the auto dimmer to work.

Reply #5
The auto dimmer setup uses a sensor mounted with the rear view mirror to detect light from approaching headlights. I never use the feature cause my headlights on roadsigns would dim them, or the dimmer would cause the headlights to switch back and forth kind o rapidly, making people think I'm signaling them.  :screwy:  So, long story short, I don't bother with 'em.
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.