Skip to main content
Topic: I have an idea.... (Read 3084 times) previous topic - next topic

I have an idea....

I've been thinking since I bought this cat that the rear wing just doesn't look right. The GST Body kit has a really agressive look that the wing just doesn't fit with.

So. What to do? I like the high set Cobra wing.

That would look nice with the GST package but I want something to set it apart from the Mustang origins.

Solution?

New endplates. Shaped exaxctly like the rear side windows. Paint the design from the Cool Cats rear window stickers on the body color plates....

And it reinforces the lines of that distinct window in a suble way that that doesn't stand out, but when you get it, it's perfect.

Any thoughts?

I have an idea....

Reply #1
I think it's a pretty cool idea.. and if pulled off correctly, it definitely will add the subtle custom touch.

I have an idea....

Reply #3
I vote go for it

I have an idea....

Reply #4
Personally I think the high wings look silly....

Then again, I'm the guy who's building an '80 XR-7....:dunce:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

I have an idea....

Reply #5
I'm with Chuck on this one.Our cars can be very cool,sporty,and agressive,but,some things just don't fit,and i think tall wings are one of those things.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

I have an idea....

Reply #6
You can buy the wing and mount it lower can't you. I mean it doesn't have to be 8 inches off the car. You could make mouhts fot lower it?

I have an idea....

Reply #8
i dont like wings eather realy, but... i still think it's a good idea. you'll have to post pix when your all done

I have an idea....

Reply #9
personaly i dont mind the gst spoiler at all, i think it matches to look of my car pretty good, i just wish it was tilted the correct way...when u look at it, it almost looks like its tilted so that it creates lift on the rear, rather then downforce, but i doubt its very functional anyways
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

I have an idea....

Reply #10
Quote from: yellow86coogr;104727
Wings are cool, most of the time. If it is what your wanting, I'd say go for it.

Nice Cat MAYHEM

Actually, looking at your wing, I'm noticing a Leading edge that would compliment the shape of the front airdam. Where'd you get it?

I have an idea....

Reply #11
Personally not a fan, I like spoilers but not big ones unless they have a reason example racing. Though most don’t agree with my taste. I’m actually looking for a spoiler that is just a simple slant off the trunk ( / ). I have seen it on an 85-86 turbo coupe so not sure if it will fit on my 88 even if I could find one. Also the SS Montes cam with them. It’s Nascar looking

I have an idea....

Reply #12
Where'd you get it?

http://www.gteffects.com/

It is a bit bigger than what I was originally looking for, but I've grown pretty attached to it. The wing is actually functional. When it rains, and I'm driving down the highway, it throws water drops underneath the wing to the back window.

I have an idea....

Reply #13
Quote from: yellow86coogr;104909
http://www.gteffects.com/

It is a bit bigger than what I was originally looking for, but I've grown pretty attached to it. The wing is actually functional. When it rains, and I'm driving down the highway, it throws water drops underneath the wing to the back window.

Thanks!

You have that on 9" or 12" risers?

I have an idea....

Reply #14
9" right now (I think-need to measure). I did buy the taller ones, and have had them for about two years now. The car doesn't look half as good as the pic now. that's at least 3 years ago. rust comming back, including strut tower now. I wanted it just above the roof line. I will eventually. Going for that Superbird/Daytona (One of my favorites) or BIG HEAVY indy car look.