Skip to main content
Topic: 8.8 with trac lok (Read 1286 times) previous topic - next topic

8.8 with trac lok

Well I went to change axle bearings on my T-Bird and I poured out the nicest shiniest gear lube. Cross pin bolt has sheared, the cross pin is so worn that its stuck in the rear end and the gears looks like someone spent a few days polishing them down. So I'm gonna save for a overhaul, but in the meantime does anyone have an 8.8 in good shape that they're willing to let go for a good price? I'm located in Camdenton, MO. Thanks, guys
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Re: 8.8 with trac lok

Reply #1
Well I went to change axle bearings on my T-Bird and I poured out the nicest shiniest gear lube. Cross pin bolt has sheared, the cross pin is so worn that its stuck in the rear end and the gears looks like someone spent a few days polishing them down. So I'm gonna save for a overhaul, but in the meantime does anyone have an 8.8 in good shape that they're willing to let go for a good price? I'm located in Camdenton, MO. Thanks, guys

that bolt is fairly easy to drill out, chase the threads and install another bolt.  i have the parts if needed.  BTW, you don't need to save for an overhaul.  you can rebuild your differential (or install a good used one) and not have to worry about backlash clearances.  see the ford 8.8 was designed and built with extremely close tolerances across the board.  if you reinstall genuine fomoco gears....used, or new....all you have to do is make sure you put the shims in your original housing back where they came from.  it's dummy proof.  if you use any other brand of gears..you're on your own..or paying someone to screw it up for you.

Re: 8.8 with trac lok

Reply #2
crosspin was seized in there. i had to cut the differential up to get it out
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum