Skip to main content
Topic: 460 swap (Read 3643 times) previous topic - next topic

460 swap

Hi guy's greeting's from the not so sunny u.k,i've bought an 86 v6 bird and i'm looking to put my 460&c6 into it.

What part's do i need for this swap,i've got an 8.8 and all the front hub's and disk's from a 95 stang.

Cheer's guy's i'll get some pic's up as i go along. :D

Re: 460 swap

Reply #1
Well if its a mild 460 that stock 8.8 will not last to long at the track.
There are 460 swap kits that u can order for doing this.

http://www.kaufmannproducts.com/mustangs.htm

Reply #2
theirs a guy who was hear a while ago with a black 86 and nascar spoiler with chrome air dam. he had a worked 460 and 8.8. never heard any problems from him, just gotta build it up.

Reply #3
Thats a built up 8.8 vs a stock 8.8
My old 302 with x cam and auto killed stock 8.8 turbo coup rear end in no time.
When add slicks and spray

Reply #4
buy the frpp 460 fox mounts, a double hump mustang trans x member and a good radiator. the 8.8 will be fine. get headers from anyone but hooker. i used a set of pro mustang headers, fit like a glove. you will need to space the k member or use a cowl hood. i miss mine. it was an 85 elan w/ 460 power
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #5
Quote from: SirChirpAlot
Thats a built up 8.8 vs a stock 8.8
My old 302 with x cam and auto killed stock 8.8 turbo coup rear end in no time.
When add slicks and spray

the 8.8 that was in my car was a stock turbo coupe rear. only thing changed was the axles. lived just fine back there. never had slicks but had bfg drags on the car.
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #6
get headers from anyone but hooker
  Sorry for the Hijack, but I gotta know why you said this.  Mine went on the 302 like a glove (long tube with column shift)  Obviously you had some issues with them and I would like to know just what happened
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
Sorry for the Hijack, but I gotta know why you said this.  Mine went on the 302 like a glove (long tube with column shift)  Obviously you had some issues with them and I would like to know just what happened

the small block headers are fine. the 460 swap headers do not fit. the steering shaft hits #7 tube right in the middle and the headers end in front of the trans x member, no way in hell to put a pipe on it. plus they hit the firewall. when i called hooker they said my car was crashed before, but i bought it off the original owner and it was never hit. i know of at least 20 others who had the same problem.
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #8
Lets see frist 8.8 i had was beat on so to me it dont count,
The 8.8 TC rear end was a 373 and i rebuilt the posi.  ya ya i know posi is GM term,
Anyway it lasted most of the summer, the Spider Gears were ok so reused them, the Cross Shaft Pin was fine and Differential was rebuilt and checked.
7 weeks later i was getting clunking sound from the rearend,  With car in park u could roll it back and forth more then normal.

Took cover off and had a buddy turn one wheel back and forth and my jaw hit the floor, The Cross Shaft Pin was moving aound it had made the holes in the diff slotted a good half inch and was vary near to snaping everything,

I had some 55 odd pass's at the track with this rear end and some friday night racing at midnight raceways.  I have also seen buddys with stangs have stock rear ends that just never die.

i had this same prob when i had my Z28, i killed rearend after rearend till i went with a 9 and a spool.  My Cougar never gave me any probs with spool and axles so no mater what anyone has to say about a 8.8 lasting its a C clip rear end and if u have any power and can hook your asking for probs.

u get C clip elims and a even a good 28splin axles and u are at least on the right track.
31 or 33's is still best way to go and if u race at track with slicks and boost or spray why in hell would u not have stock rear end.

Reply #9
Hey Chirp I've had no problems with my 8.8 and I gaurentee it has at least 400 drag strip passes. It has 133k mi on it now, with only a clutch pack replacement in the spring of '01(or was it '02?).

Reply #10
all i had was a set of 28 spline moser c-clip axles. the rear had about 120k on it. never touched it.
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #11
Well i dont know why u guys dont have probs with 8.8s u have,
Ether i push my car harder then u guys do or i got 8.8s from the reject line.