Skip to main content
Topic: My Cat (Read 1726 times) previous topic - next topic

My Cat

I know I posted this in the Engine tech forum, but it was my 1st post here and I didn tknow there was an engine swap forum. I dont know much about cars at all and ive been hearing all the storys of these hard engine swaps. Well, im definately thinking about getting a v8 in my 87 LS (3.8l V6 atm) and my friend who knows alot is really wanting me to get a 351W, he seems to think we can get it in.

Well, question is, is it possible? lol. I think me and him woulod be doing alot of it, him telling me what to do lol. But he has alot of mechanic friends as well so we could get help.

If this is possible what else am I gunna need before starting?
Any problems you can forsee?

Oops almost forgot the engine specs.
74 351W truck motor, rebuilt with Keith Black pistons, moly rings, bored .030, balanced, .488 lift cam, roller double row timing set, adjustable rockers, lightly ported heads, Edelbrock intake, chrome valve covers and air cleaner. It needs a carb, the 750 Holley that was on it went bad. I pulled the intake and oil pan to check things, very clean inside. I will include a full gasket set with the motor. It has 40000 miles on the rebuild, so it's just broken in and man did it run good when we had it in our Police Interceptor.

thanx alot in advance.

Re: My Cat

Reply #1
bird 351 has a 351 in his bird. I would talk to him in a pm.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
No, I don't have a 351 IN my Bird. I have a 351, and I have two Birds. The 351 was originally meant to go into one of them, as I acquired both in the same deal. (engine, plus first Bird) Now, I might either put it in my '88, or sell it. If I sell it, I guess I'll need a new name. :p

I think 88cat has a 351W in his.

EDIT: If I put a .020-over or .030-over 300 I6 in my original Bird, should I change my name to Bird303 or Bird304? :p

Reply #3
351 windsor will fit. being as it looks like you will be going carbed it shouldnt be hard at all. ive never done it though. i "think" it will use the same engine mounts. far as i know the windsor is a 302 based block. i could be wrong though.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
o0 yay this is sounding beter and beter :-D thanks alot guys, a second question i have is about my tansmition....  will i be able to use my stock automatic for now (the 4 speed with overdrive that came in the 87 ls cats?)

Reply #5
the 351w has a taller deck height than a 302 block, i think by about an inch on each bank thus making it wider by almost 2 inches.

Reply #6
To the best of my knowledge, the RWD 3.8 uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 255/289/302/351W and a few other engines. (250 small I6, 240-300 large I6, etc.)

There's a bit more to it than that, but I'll let others elaborate.