Skip to main content
Topic: Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ... (Read 19981 times) previous topic - next topic

Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ...

Reply #105
I picked up new plastic s and surrounds from one of the Mustang parts warehouses.  You can get new reproduction pieces in black and I didn't want to or plan on reusing the stock dark blue pieces.  The surround just slides in from the top and then is held in place with a single screw in the bottom.  The plastic  just pushes onto the metal.

Reply #106
We're entering the home stretch with the seat base and seat backs now fully assembled as individual units ... time to put 'em together.

On the seat base, you'll need to find the three mounting bolt holes ... there will be two on the outboard hinge side and one on the inboard side.  Again, you'll be able to feel around and locate these spots under the upholstery.  I took a fine phillips head screwdriver and ran it through the upholstery to mark the hole locations.  Once these spots were basically marked, I then took a razor blade and cut the openings into an "X" shape.

Reply #107
With the holes cut, I first test fit the screws by cleaning up the threads and then threading them in and out a few times.  I trimmed a little bit of the upholstery material to open up the holes, but this was very minor.  From there I connected the seat base to the seat back by fastening the single Torx head bolt on the inboard side of the seat and the two regular bolts on the outboard hinge side.  I also reconnected the lumbar tubing at this stage and reinstalled the black plastic outboard hinge cover.

Reply #108
Almost there ... I promise ...

The seats are basically done at this point, just time to reinstall the power seat tracks.  I had previously cleaned these up for the Corbeau project, so all I did was wipe them down and reinstall them back to the seat bases with the four bolts.

Reply #109
... and now the big reveal ... outside of actually being in the car anyway ... here is a fully assembled seat ready to go back in the car.

Reply #110
Awesome!! Looking forward to your input on the TMI foam so far as comfort. Can’t wait to see them in the car. Very detailed thread. Thanks .
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #111
Cannot wait to hear if this solves the weird height issue with the Corbeaus.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #112
Awesome!! Looking forward to your input on the TMI foam so far as comfort. Can’t wait to see them in the car. Very detailed thread.

Thanks.  They turned out pretty nice and feel good, but the true test will be getting them in the car ... hopefully over the weekend with any luck.

Cannot wait to hear if this solves the weird height issue with the Corbeaus

I'll definitely keep you posted, I owe you some measurements as well.

Getting the passenger seat ready to go in.  Here are some shots of the back seat as well.  I'm monkeying around with the center armrest a little, thus why it's missing in the one shot.

Reply #114
Quote from: Drewstang;463468
I might have missed it, but where did you find the seat belt buckle sleeves? Are the Mustang equivalent close enough to use on T-bird / Cougar?

The seat belt buckle sleeves ... believe it or not ... are actually my OEM original ones.  They're not perfect, but they are still in really good shape.  You can use Mustang ones, while not identical, they will get you by.  Eric has a write up on this here: http://www.coolcats.net/restoring/seatbelts.html

Reply #115
Those came out really nice! Great job. Can't wait to see them in the car.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #116
Quote from: 85CougarCobra;463469
The seat belt buckle sleeves ... believe it or not ... are actually my OEM original ones.  They're not perfect, but they are still in really good shape.  You can use Mustang ones, while not identical, they will get you by.  Eric has a write up on this here: http://www.coolcats.net/restoring/seatbelts.html

You got pretty lucky with the originals, Matt. Glad to see you reused them. Seats came out awesome!

I have Mustang sleeves on my car. They do work well but you have to crank down the Torx bolts really tight to keep them from flopping all over. They also hold paint very, very well. Only thing I don’t like, aside from not being technically correct, is that they’re all made in furrin’ countries. One of these days I hope someone in North America can reproduce the correct sleeves for us.

Reply #117
Quote from: EricCoolCats;463473
You got pretty lucky with the originals, Matt. Glad to see you reused them. Seats came out awesome!

I have Mustang sleeves on my car. They do work well but you have to crank down the Torx bolts really tight to keep them from flopping all over. They also hold paint very, very well. Only thing I don’t like, aside from not being technically correct, is that they’re all made in furrin’ countries. One of these days I hope someone in North America can reproduce the correct sleeves for us.

Thanks!  Yeah, my originals are still going strong, but they do have splits in them on parts of the seams ... only a matter of time I suppose.  I'm afraid to look at them wrong!  I bought Mustang ones for the Corbeaus but once I ditched that plan and the 87-88 vintage power seat tracks, I went back to the 83?-86 power seat tracks and my stock seat belts/sleeves.

Reply #118
Installed the seat back and passenger seat.  I have a bit of a mess with some other interior work ongoing, but getting closer ...

Unfortunately, it will be little time before I can actually "test" anything.  Car wouldn't start a few weeks ago, diagnosed a fuel pressure/pump issue, dropped the tank to find a slit in the fuel hose inside the tank that is connected to the pump, so need to take care of all of that "fun" stuff as well ... easy enough, but a PITA at the same time.

Reply #119
Any progress on this and did it solve the height issue?

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp