Skip to main content
Topic: Mirror Mirror on the door, f'n! Move!! (Read 18754 times) previous topic - next topic

Mirror Mirror on the door, f'n! Move!!

After three switches tried I have decided that I have a wiring problem with my car.  The mirrors only go left and up, not down and right.  Its really g me off because its the only thing left and all my stuff will be working!
One 88

Reply #1
It's not the car wiring. It's the motor inside the mirror housing that's bad. Or perhaps just stuck. You can try manually moving the mirror in all directions for a minute or two, then trying the switch again. A lot of times that will break the motor free to move in any direction. If not...time for new mirrors.

Reply #2
Well I would believe that if both mirrors didn't do it.  The passenger mirror worked fine before I changed the driver mirror.  I left my known good switch in ohio.  I guess I might try another switch.
One 88

Reply #3
Mirror motors like to die in pairs. :)

I've owned these cars for almost 20 years and in all that time I absolutely HAD to change exactly one mirror switch. Not saying that's not your problem, but it's less likely than the mirror motors IMO. You could try disconnecting the harness on the driver's one, then seeing if the passenger one works. If so, it could be because the driver's mirror motor is frying.

Reply #4
Of my two good cars with electric mirrors, neither one of them work. One of them I know its the switch, I pulled it from the other car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Quote from: EricCoolCats
Mirror motors like to die in pairs. :)

Don't say that, both of mine only go up/down. :o

Reply #6
It's the motor inside the mirror housing that's bad. Or perhaps just stuck.
How many motors are in your mirrors? :wtf:
Mine only have two, one for left/right, one for up/down.
If it goes "left and up", that should mean both motors are working.

The switch works like the power windows; reversing the power/ground supplied to the selected motor to reverse the direction.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #7
Additional:

Get/make a couple of little jumpers; some wire with alligator clips will do.
Unplug the harness from the switch, and make sure you have 12v at LightGreen/Yellow and a nice ground at Black.
(Or run some reeeeeeally long jumpers out to the battery.)

Clip one jumper to the LightGreen/Yellow (that lonely pin at the bottom right), and another to the Black (top left).

To make the motors spin one way, clip the other end of the power jumper to the "common" Yellows (bottom left pin), and touch the ground jumper to each of the other pins.

Red and Blue control the driver's side, Purple and DarkGreen are passenger side.

To spin the motors the other way, clip the ground jumper to the Yellows, and touch the power jumper to the other pins.

If you get motion in both directions on all pins, the wiring and motors are fine, and the switch is buggered (all of them).
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #8
I motion this for a sticky!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
Thanks master blaster, I'll try this as soon as I get rid of this  camaro and get my cougar back.
One 88

Reply #10
I say stickie as well. Maybe change the name of the thread though
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
Quote from: Haystack

No!  I like the name! :flame:
One 88

Reply #12

It's been a sticky for over a day now. ;) And if the starter likes the name, it stays.

Reply #13
Well good news and bad news... Looks like all three switches were bad!  Good news is my mirrors move when I jumper the connector!  Oh yeah and I got my car back :)
One 88

Reply #14
I have the same problem but havent had time to mess with it anyone have a known good switch?