Skip to main content
Topic: Fiberglass trunk? (Read 1961 times) previous topic - next topic

Fiberglass trunk?

I've been searching for replacement body panels as I am starting to tackle the rust on my bird this winter.  I cam across US body fiberglass panels and was wondering if anybody has any experience with them?  My trunk lid is toast, if someone has a source for steel panels I would appreciate it.  If I go the fiberglass route does the trunk need to be pinned down or can I use the stock latch/hinges?

Re: Fiberglass trunk?

Reply #1
I asked the folks at Hairyglass, they make some stuff for Tbirds too. They said they don't have provisions for hood/trunk bolts. So if you got a fiberglass trunk, you'd likely need "hood" pins. Might be able to attach them to the hinges, but IDK. The fiberglass might not be strong enough.
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #2
Need to know where you are located and what year of Bird you are working on if you want any suggestions on body parts.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
www.car-parts.com

Go this this site and bang in the info.  Shows a couple of cars in your area with a trunk lid.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp