Skip to main content
Topic: Doing a paint job on a budget (Read 4685 times) previous topic - next topic

Doing a paint job on a budget

I got a couple paint jobs in the past couple years and I can't believe how much the price of materials and labour has gone up in the past 5 years! I paid $7500 for my dodge pickup truck 3 years ago, $4000 to paint the cougar (December) and another $2000 to touch up my skyline from rock chips. These days if you want cheap you gotta do it yourself! I tried last year to paint with my compressor in the shop and I had too much moisture in the lines, even with toilet paper filters. So I got myself an Earlex 2 stage turbine painter ($380), some sand paper, some Rust Scat urethane enamel paint and paint thinner (although I found out thinners are not compadible with enamel paint it makes orange peel effect have to use mineral spirits). My material costs are $57 for a gallon of glossy black paint, $35 for disposable masks, 1 gallon paint thinners, masking tape, mixing cup, stir stick, paper paint strainers, and a pack of scotch bright pads for scuffing the paint. So total cost of all my materials is $472. Not bad and I have the option of no clear coat or maybe I will wet sand and use some exterior Varathane finish for wood as my clear coat. I was thinking of using old newspapers for masking paper, I do have some brown kraft paper in the shop if the newspaper is a pain to deal with. I sprayed the hood today, it is just a couple degrees above freezing in the shop, so not ideal for painting, but I did get a nice thick coat of paint on, tons of dust, but nothing that can't be wet sanded out. I will post pictures when I am done as my cord for the camera is at my girlfriends house.

Reply #1
I originally wanted to use Enduro Epoxy paint, but I had to order black it was over $250 for a gallon of each, so I opted for a simpler paint that just needs thinning and it is ready to spray.

Also the materials cost for the cougar was $949!!!

Reply #2
I spent over $600 on just materials 6 years ago when i painted my Thunderbird. I think im gonna just bring it to Macco this time. They will probably do a better job than me and for about the same money. My friend took his Maxima to Macco and got out the door for $800 with dent repairs and a quality two stage paint job.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #3
believe it or not, duplicolor's paint shop line is pretty good stuff and unbeatable at $22 a quart.. it's pre-mixed but you can add a little acetone to stretch it a bit, after the first coat (at least with darker, non-translucent colors, like the lighter blue).. when spraying black, i first use some rustomleum mixed with acetone for the first coat, then lay 2 coats of the duplicolor black over it, then clear.. surprisingly, the result is nearly top notch, which surprised the  out of me.. the rustoleum is great because it comes out a little heavier and will fill any minor scratches left behind from sanding
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #4
Yeah, I like duplicolour too because it is spray ready. I sprayed the whole car today and it sucked! It decided to start blowing hurricane force winds halfway through the paint. I laid the first  coat extremely thick! As there was so much dust I am gonna have to do a lot of wet sanding. The hose also kept pulling of the turbine and everytime it did that it blew dust all over the paint. On the plus side at least it is done, I'd rather have runs and dust versus not enough paint. Also it was too cold so the paint was coming out blotchy, and when I tried more reducer it would run, so I guess that's what I get for painting in a winter storm in an unheating, shop that is open to the elements.

Oh yeah and my roof leaks so water drops was landing on the paint, talk about everything working against a guy.

Reply #5
Truthfully, Maaco did the Sport, and it turned out great. If only they had used a glossy metallic rubber paint to prevent the hail dents. Oh well, parts are here for repairs (and on the way from Graham Smacker). So, back in shape in no time.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;384423
(and on the way from Graham Cracker).

fixed! :hick:
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver