Skip to main content
Topic: The "HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF" thread (Read 18919 times) previous topic - next topic

The "HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF" thread

Reply #15
I am going to add a few things here, and some are just a refresh. (I know it is a year after the last post)

I have found the following to work very well:

1) AdAware with both messenger plug-ins set to blocked/disabled.

2) Spy Bot (immunization enabled)

3) Spyware Blaster (with all blocks enabled - works w/ Fire Fox too)

4) Spyware Guard - keeps your browser from being hijacked: as in changes in home page, search page, etc.  (BHO - Browser Help Objects)

5) Keeping Windows updated (ofcourse)

6) Plain text e-mail ONLY!

7) Do not hide known file extensions (you would be supprised at what scanning software can miss when the extensions are hidden)

8) Show all files & folders

9) A good AV program (ofcourse)

10) Ditch Windows Defender, it is a resource hogg. Use only in case of emergency then un-install!

12) Go to http://www.grc.com and test your ports! You might be supprised at the results (especially if you are using AOL).

13) Use Fire-Fox! AND use a pop-up blocker too!

14) Ditch Outlook Express. Use the corporate version of Outlook or some other program like Thunderbird.

15) Put your kids on a restricted diet. WinXP and 2K will allow you to set their login account to "Restricted". This means that much of the stuff that trys to install itself will fail, even if your kid clicks "ok".

16) Close those pesky pop-ups that do get through using the "Task Manager". More often than not, cancel = ok, and no = yes. The "x" icon to close the pop-up can even be used to trigger a silent install.

17) TC's excellent advice on e-mails and fishing :D

18) HijackThis for the advanced users. If you have no experience working with the registry, or have experience but are not comfortable in there, find someone who is!

In addition:

1) If you are on DSL/Cable and are not using either a router w/ hardware firewall or a stand alone hardware firewall, get one or get off the net!

2) Get a good software firewall. Zone Alarm is good for noobs. For the more advanced user, grab Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro (Novell uses the core code as the base for their Enterprise Level "Border Manager" product).

3) Use your Junk Mail Filter!

Reply #16
Seeing as this thread's been revived I'll add a new, sinister one as well: "Vishing". Vishing is similarto "phishing", except that instead of emails the fraudsters will call you on your telehpone and pose as your bank. They may even leave a message with a phone number to call back (more on that below). DO NOT TALK TO THESE PEOPLE, and DO NOT CALL THESE NUMBERS BACK!!!

If a person calls you claiming to be your bank, say "OK, I'll call you back at the bank". Ask for a case/reference number and call the bank's number (found on the back of your bank or credit card, on their real website, or in the phone book). Do NOT call any number the person that calls you gives you!!!! These people WILL give you a fake phone number, so take the time to look up the number yourself! If the person that has called you protests when you tell them that you want to call them back, explain that  you are doing so to prevent fraud, and then hang up. Your bank will understand why you want to call them back (in fact, banks encourage this to prevent vishing).

Now, about those messages they may leave: Fraudsters have gotten sophisticated to the point that they will actually mimic your bank's voice prompt system. If you call the number provided by the scammer you will be connected to a machine that asks for your bank card number and telephone PIN number for verification (just like your real bank does). These phony voice prompt systems can be VERY authentic appearing, so there is only ONE way to avoid the scam: Never, EVER, call a phone number provided in a recorded message, email or even by a live person. ONLY CALL THE PHONE NUMBER ON YOUR BANK CARD OR IN THE PHONE BOOK!!! ONLY deal with the bank through a phone call that YOU placed, not one that they placed to you. The scammers use VoIP phone systems that allow them to set up a phone number with any area code, and even a number similar to your bank's (with a digit or two flipped). This means that they could set up a number in New York but actually be in Malaysia. The red text above explains the only reliable way to prevent getting nailed by this type of fraud.

Oh, and as an aside: This should be common sense, but NEVER enter personal info (bank/credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc) over any kind of wireless phone (including cordless and cell). Those signals can be intercepted, especially cordless phones, and the person intercepting them can then assume your identity. If you're going to call your bank, always do so from a hard wired phone.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #17
Thunder Chicken, there is also a reason Microsoft hides certain files and extension.  To prevent noobs from deleting any file they see..but good tips for people not knowing how to keep themself clean.  I personally use Adaware, Firefox and AVG.  Don't forget..keep your cookies clean!  There are tons of freeware out there to do this.  I prefer Ccleaner or cleanup.exe!!

Reply #18
I use ccleaner myself. As for hiding files - although I set my computer to show OS files, I don't recommend it for noobs that think Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are the same thing. I do recommend "unhiding" file extensions though, because a noob is the one that needs to know that "jenniferss.jpg.pif" is not a picture.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #19
TC, I agree with you there, but how much do you think noobs pay attention to when opening a file with such a promising title name?!!?!  Most noobs don't even know that .bmp or .jpg are picture files!!!

Reply #20
True, but that's why I made this thread to begin with:D If a noob read my advice he now knows how to tell when a file extension is fake :D

Reply #21
Another few tips I might add:

Don't cache your passwords in your web browser(save your passwords)
Use the keyscrambler add-on in Firefox, to scramble your usernames/passwords when entering them on a site that requires authentication (keeps you from being hacked via a keylogger)
Back-up files as much as possible!  (data is very important to end-users!)

Reply #22
Another note on the Ebay and Paypal fraud...

If you get an e-mail from ebay, dont open it, just go to Ebay.com. In most cases, buyers or sellers trying to contact you, along with issues with your account will be sent to you through Ebay.

Basically saying, if you get an E-mail saying "Question from Seller", go right to ebay.com, and check your messages.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #23
My 2c:

*Not all freeware is intrinsically bad - just make sure it's open source. If you're looking for something in particular, rather than searching "program freeware", try "program open source" or "program GPL"
*Microsoft Security Essentials is an antivirus suite provided absolutely free to Windows customers (hooray for antitrust laws!).  They've a vast signature database that's updated several times daily.  Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download
*NoScript and FlashBlock and HTTPS Everywhere browser plugins.  My computer will not parse javascript or execute flash applets without my express permission, and the browser will ensure it's using encryption if it's available.  Sites without encryption send passwords over the wire in plain text. 
*If you notice a forum you visit is NOT HTTPS (like this one), use a unique password dedicated to that forum only.  If your credentials are intercepted (far easier than you'd think) and your passwords are the same across the Internet, you've just been royally pwned.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Rusty Roadrage"
Rollin deep in the '88 3.8.

Reply #24
One hell of a thread revival. I still had a computer 10.years ago. Old, old information.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #25
:o 
Whoops, didn't notice it was an old sticky, sorry 'bout that.  Old info, yes, but still quite valid...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Rusty Roadrage"
Rollin deep in the '88 3.8.