Skip to main content
Topic: HO swap directions/steps (Read 1478 times) previous topic - next topic

HO swap directions/steps

Hey everyone, I would like to know if anyone has the steps of the HO swap or maybe even a link to a website that has them. I'm wondering because I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into before I buy the parts and tear the engine down. Thanks!

HO swap directions/steps

Reply #1
coolcats.net go to modify section then scroll down to drivetrain

HO swap directions/steps

Reply #2
drivetrain? The HO swap on the 5.0 is what I meant to say lol I should've specified more

HO swap directions/steps

Reply #3
yep drivetrain then go to engine and there is around 3 stages of converting to HO that can be approached for these cars

HO swap directions/steps

Reply #7
If I were planning a upgrade, I'd skip the E7 heads and go with at least a GT40...

The aftermarket aluminum heads are light years better than the factory iron lumps, unfortunately the ONLY big valve head that can be used on a piston without valve reliefs, are the Trick Flow Twisted Wedges...

Using them on a flat top piston '86 HO short block makes a really nice combo and is waht I ran from '99 to '09...

HO swap directions/steps

Reply #8
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;413506
If I were planning a upgrade, I'd skip the E7 heads and go with at least a GT40...

The aftermarket aluminum heads are light years better than the factory iron lumps, unfortunately the ONLY big valve head that can be used on a piston without valve reliefs, are the Trick Flow Twisted Wedges...

Using them on a flat top piston '86 HO short block makes a really nice combo and is waht I ran from '99 to '09...

+1.

I've got a stock HO in my Mark VII. It's ok but the Edelbrock aluminum headed 5.0 in my Thunderbird will run rings around it even though the Mark is only about 200lbs heavier than the Thunderbird. If you're going through the trouble at least run a set of GT40/GT40P heads.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.