Skip to main content
Topic: What about the original Cougar V8? (Read 3420 times) previous topic - next topic

What about the original Cougar V8?

Hey all,
I noticed after reading lots of posts about engine swapping that nobody has ever mentioned dropping the original Cougar V8 in a Fox car, the 289.  I've always thought that would be a cool setup!  A K-code Fox Cougar, anybody?!  A 289 sits in exactly the same space as a 302, doesn't it?  I know the 289 is a "little" harder to find than a 302 of any flavor, and most are sitting in '65/'66 Mustangs and '67 Cougars (and some other '60's Fords).  It's just a combination that I've never seen.  If I ever got my hands on one, I'd sure put it in my '84 LS.  If we really want to get wild, what about a Boss 302 Fox car!?  What's everybody think?  Let me know!

Re: What about the original Cougar V8?

Reply #1
The 289s are stout LITTLE engines, but IMHO thats the problem they are too small for a 3500lb car. Something on the order of the 351 is about the right size(again IMHO).

BTW I actually have a 289 from a '68 Cougar("C" code 2bbl). One of my freinds that does a lot of work on the early Stangs, has dibs on it.

Reply #2
There is a cat prowling these boards (or possibly CougarNuts) with a 289 in it.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #3
well finding a compleat 289 is alot harder then finding a 302

Reply #4
How about using the late model block "roller block" with the 289 guts, but boring it back out to a 302. High rpm engine now that would be cool.

Yes I know the 289 crack will not just drop in, because it is a 2 piece main where the roller block is a one piece.

Reply #5
Bigger is better and leave it at that

Reply #6
Quote from: SirChirpAlot
Bigger is better and leave it at that

yes,, size matters :rollin:

at least for now it does.,, im just sitting back waiting to pounce on the research ive done.

Reply #7
years ago, I had a '79 stang that I put a 289 in and it was the quickest car I'd been in at the time('90), of course, that was before I got the Torino or all the cars that followed. I think you'd be a lot happier just dropping a 351 in it.

Reply #8
Mild 351 is the way to go if u want a quick car that is used a toy and daily driver.

Just a 351 with studs and good rod bolts a forged piston and a set of aftermarket heads would be very  easy to build and u could spray it 150 all day

Reply #9
Quote from: slamedcat
How about using the late model block "roller block" with the 289 guts, but boring it back out to a 302.

The 289 is the same bore as a 302, the stroke was the difference between them.  You can use a 289 block, crank and heads, then put the EFI lower intake and all the EFI stuff on it, then you have a fuel injected 289.  The heads will require a little work for the EGR, but I have seen it done.  Or just use the 289 lower, and bolt on a set of E7T Heads with alll the fuel injection.  You can also use the AOD behind it.  The balancing between the early model and late model 289/ 302's are different, but if you use a 351W flywheel, your balancing is fine.

I like the idea of the Boss 302, that would be cool, and definately different.

Reply #10
The 289s are stout LITTLE engines

whats stout?...lol, akay thats gettin a little old.

in all seriousness, i think a 289 would be regressing. dont they all use 2 peice rear main seals. i know it would be a different swap but with the availability of 302 why?

a 4 bolt boss 302 would be nice though
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #11
The 289 is the same bore as a 302, the stroke was the difference between them.

That is what I was saying give it a small stroke and a large bore, that way it will run higher rpms.

You use the 289 crank in the 302 "roller block" and you have a "roller 289" now bore it back out to a 302.