Skip to main content
Topic: Pending Chrysler/Fiat Alliance... (Read 4716 times) previous topic - next topic

Pending Chrysler/Fiat Alliance...

Reply #1
This vanquishes my prediction of a Chinese takeover....IF it comes to fruition, that is...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
that funny!!!!!! the parts i like are:
1-Chrysler will have access to all Fiat group vehicle platforms, which would complement our current product portfolio .
2-Fiat did not commit any cash to the deal, and made no vows to do so in the future
3-Chrysler said Fiat would “provide management services
4-. “The alliance would help sustain Chrysler’s product development, manufacturing, and sales operations here in the U.S .

i don't know about you but fiat don't sell well in montana . most of all i have yet to see a fiat dealer!!!!

if i remember right back in the late70's early80's there was  one of the big  four that tried that with fiat?
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #3
GM had a deal with Fiat.  It had to pay 3.2 billion dollars to get out of it.:rollin:
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #4
Quote from: rancheronut;252697

i don't know about you but fiat don't sell well in montana . most of all i have yet to see a fiat dealer!!!!

Well obviously Chrysler products aren't selling either...anywhere.

Fiat has gotten their stuff together and offers some good stuff, especially in tha areas of what US automakers are needing to try and turn things around.  Fiat outsold Chrysler last year (2.5 mil v. 2 mil), so they're not doing too poorly.

Why should Fiat pour their funds into a potential boat anchor?  The Offering Chrysler a more open market for their products as well as access to some management that can get the job done. 

You probably won't see "Fiat" badged cars on these ss, but most likely rebadged or cousin cars. 

Basically they are saying "We can help you, but it's gonna cost you".  They drug Daimlier-Benz down with them, so it's not like anyone else is just going to give them a handout (aside from the US Govt) without getting something in return.  I wouldn't want to touch Chrysler personally.  They're lucky to even get an offer such as this as they can't seem to run their own business without screwing things up over and over again.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
Fiat are the winners here. They get 35% of Chrysler at no cost, get to sell Chrysler chassis by the boat load, manage to get their platforms built at high volume in the world's biggest automotive market, and get to sell their own cars here as well. Yes, Chuck, we'll see Fiats, and word is we'll also see some Lancias, though I'm not too sure I'd put any stock in that. I predict Fiat will get Chrysler to pay for tooling factories for their cars, get started on a dealer network, then watch Chrysler drown, leaving a nice big hole in the market to fill. With no financial obligation, it makes a lot of sense to take this opportunity.

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W;252830
Well obviously Chrysler products aren't selling either...anywhere.

any where?????? sorry, Chrysler are selling just fine here !!! oh ,by the way. there out selling Fiat  here too!!!!:shakeass:

good for Fiat to find some sucker to murge with.
 i use to have to work on those junker!!!!!
can any one say there good lawn ornament

Reply #7
Chrysler is sinking....looks like more of the turd to me, than the smaller company that is outselling them worldwide.  Domestics might "be selling fine" in "The Middle of Nowhere USA", but I doubt that small fraction of the US population is going to prop up a hemmoraging industry....

Chrylsers of the 70's-early-80's were just as big of pieces of  as the old Fiats were...as were most cars of that era.  Remember the K-Cars? 

Look into the modern Fiats...they are nothing like their predecessors.

Reply #8
Quote from: rancheronut;252697
i don't know about you but fiat don't sell well in montana . most of all i have yet to see a fiat dealer!!!

I'm really sure that in the cattle country, every rancher has/needs a Fiat. :shakehead

Sure, just because you see fellas in 2 year old Dodge trucks doesn't mean they're outselling anything...far as I've read, Dodge trucks have always been at the bottom of the totem pole as far as that goes...but that's another issue.

Even I have opened my eyes to the fact that ALL the domestic automakers are struggling, and with shiznit-poor vehicles to advertise, well, what do you expect?
The Europeans have better chassis, engines, hell, most ARE simply better period. There's a reason domestic automakers are struggling. And it's ain't all because of the economy...

Also, there's markets other than just Montana, the average city dweller has no need for a 12mpg, stinking, noisy, loud-as-all-hell spoogemins-powered rat trap. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
Apparently, the stock traders agree with Chuck

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aFFqT2qToq00&refer=home

Jan. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Fiat SpA dropped to the lowest level in 24 years in Milan trading on concern that an alliance with Chrysler LLC will jeopardize the turnaround that’s made the Italian company one of Europe’s best-performing carmakers.

Fiat fell as much as 4.8 percent to 4.21 euros, the lowest since at least Jan. 2, 1985, and was priced at 4.41 euros as of 3:11 p.m. local time. The Turin-based company lost 1.3 percent yesterday after earlier jumping 6 percent on news that it had agreed to take a 35 percent holding in Chrysler.

Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne extended Fiat’s profit margin to 5.5 percent last year while boosting sales 13 percent after revamping the top-selling Punto and reviving the 500 minicar. While Italy’s largest automaker will hand over no cash for the Chrysler stake, buttstuffysts say the pact may increase costs and saddle it with a share of the U.S. company’s losses.

FWIW, I think this is a good looking Fiat:

--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #10
well my stinking, noisy, loud-as-all-hell spoogemins-powered rat trap get 18 towing a 35 foot camper at 75 mph. when not towing get 22 
 and before that !my 6.2 power 4x4 3/4 ton chevy suburban get 24mpg at same speed and it hauled my family of 6 great.

you need to get your facts straite:
ALL the domestic automakers are struggling because they where biulding what  USA wanted! they wanted truck/fullsize suv's! you can't blame them building what was selling!!!
 heck ,they even had 3 shifts a day going just to keep up with the demand.  sorry ,there not The Middle of Nowhere USA"  to have that much demand!
when you have 3 shift a day working to build trucks/suv. you don't have have enough time to make your pieces of  wanta-be on unbody chassy.
as for "Europeans have better chassis, engines, hell, most ARE simply better period".    i can tell you never work for european dealer or a shop that works on Europeans cars. well i did for 3 yrs! after that i will never have a Europeans car! there not as good as you think they are!!!!!!

Reply #11
ALL the domestic automakers are struggling because they where biulding what USA wanted!

While this may have been the case in 1997 it simply isn't true today and hasn't been for about 5 years with some niche vehicle exceptions.  You seem old enough to remember what a fiasco the 70's were for the US automakers.  History seems to have repeated itself with the volume cranked up even louder.

when you have 3 shift a day working to build trucks/suv. you don't have have enough time to make your pieces of  wanta-be on unbody chassy.

I fail to see how difference between a full frame vehicle and a UNIBODY CHASSIS equates to a gigantic assembly line timeframe difference in favor of the full frame vehicle -- especially in this day and age.

Don't get me wrong, my most recent purchase was a Dodge SUV -- partly BECAUSE I wanted a full frame, but honestly I am in a quickly diminishing minority in that respect.  I have need for the towing capabilities once or twice a year and the 4wd could be handled by many other vehicles that cost less.  The very same vehicles from manufacturers that have responded to the changing needs/wants of the majority of the new-vehicle purchasers in the US.  Ford was lucky enough to get on board with change a little earlier than GM and Dodge, but they were still WAY too late.

Reply #12
No, they are struggling because they can't manage their way out of a paper bag.  They are struggling because of antiquainted business practices.  They are struggling because they don't build enough entry-level vehicles, which include those " wannabe on unibody chassis" cars.  People need affordable transportation and not everyone needs a truck. 

I did not once mention build quality.  For what they are building, they quality is pretty decent, but when it comes to the lower-tier vehicles, the domestic offerings just don't cut it...people can get more for their dollar by buying imports.

Reply #13
Building what North Americans wanted is also killing Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Land Rover, and on and on and on. Besides, it's not a lack of sales that's killing the D3 (no more than anyone else, anyway). It's a lack of profits.

Reply #14
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;252845
The Europeans have better chassis, engines, hell, most ARE simply better period.

Define "better". :)

Typically your European models sold stateside are in the luxury/performance category. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. ;)

Quote from: rancheronut;252856
i can tell you never work for european dealer or a shop that works on Europeans cars. well i did for 3 yrs! after that i will never have a Europeans car!

Care to elaborate on that?

After recently dealing with American and European dealerships/repair shops, both have shortcomings in their own special little ways. From my own experience, dealerships are not all that fun to deal with, period. Plus you live in Montana, who in the hell is driving a European car in friggin' Montana! :p
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver