Skip to main content
Topic: A/c gets warm at times? (Read 2745 times) previous topic - next topic

A/c gets warm at times?

Reply #15
In my shop we don't see many non-recoverable systems, so we don't have an identifier, and to tell the truth I haven't seen one in 10 years of doing AC, the last on I saw was in class.  We've got a pair of sniffers (r-12 and r-134a) we've got recycling machines for r-12 and r-134a, and the techs have their own dye injectors and lights, I have gauges and the shop has a flusher and a few different sets of flush connectors.  We do tons of AC.  At the dealership level, you can imagine I don't see a lot of situations where a system has been tampered with in this way.  I see old stuff, but the old stuff I see is usually as-built.  What I DO see that's been tampered with is usually carrying 134a tags and I can feel pretty good about pulling it down, charging, installing dye and sniffing for leaks.

A/c gets warm at times?

Reply #16
I do believe I got this lined out today. Was heading to help a buddy figure out his no starting van and on the way there the A/c cut out. So I pulled over and popped the hood. Went and wiggled the low pressure switch plug and as I was wiggling the A/c compressor was kicking on and off. Not wanting to tear into it on the side of the road I just pushed both pin in the switch away from each other and plugged it back in haven't had it kick off since. plan on digging in and getting the pigtail lined out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help and information
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

A/c gets warm at times?

Reply #17
That's a fairly high amp connection there, so make sure you get back to it.  You don't want to have a heat problem. I'm not sure if pigtails are available for that connector or if you've got to use repair terminals.  Either way, you're talking about 6 to 8 amps, so you'll want to make sure you're getting a really good connection.

A/c gets warm at times?

Reply #18
Quote from: ipsd;394801
I do believe I got this lined out today. Was heading to help a buddy figure out his no starting van and on the way there the A/c cut out. So I pulled over and popped the hood. Went and wiggled the low pressure switch plug and as I was wiggling the A/c compressor was kicking on and off. Not wanting to tear into it on the side of the road I just pushed both pin in the switch away from each other and plugged it back in haven't had it kick off since. plan on digging in and getting the pigtail lined out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help and information
Stuckman

Just saying !!!!!!!!!

HERE IS MY POST!!!
I have thought about this problem and i would change the CCOT SWITCH Just to get that out of the way.

Change the switch and squeeze the terminals with a pair of needle nose players. You can also twist the spade tips on the switch for better contact. If that fails do what i do and solder the wires to the switch. permanent FIX CASE CLOSED
That is why i suggested to you to change out the switch. They go bad and get loose connections. That is why i recommended changing it!! Been doing this for many many years. But then again !!!!!?????
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

A/c gets warm at times?

Reply #19
Thanks for the input Tom. I had changed swapped in another  switch because I have Spares, had the same problem with 2 different switches before I got it narrowed down to the pigtail. Which like the switches I have spares. I dug into this some more last night and just like I had thought the little terminals inside had loosened up over time. The car is 25yrs old. So I pulled the terminals out gave them a gentle squeeze and slide them back into the plug. Tested in the drive way with car running A/c running and me wiggling and shaking that pigtail and it doesn't kick it off. So figure this is problem solved.

Thanks for helping and looking
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

A/c gets warm at times?

Reply #20
There you go!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!