Skip to main content
Topic: '85 AOD Crossmember Bushings Compatibility & Part Location (Read 1399 times) previous topic - next topic

'85 AOD Crossmember Bushings Compatibility & Part Location

I have a question concerning a 1985 TBird AOD cross-member bushings compatability. Will the Mustang bushings fit the Thunderbird for the same years? Also, where can these be located to purchase for the 1985 Thunderbird? Thanks. Images below are just examples downloaded from internet for this request.

X
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #1
They are the same.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
You can use the double hump cross member out of a Fox Mustang in one of our cars so that should tell you what you need to know.  Usually have to grind the tack welds on the tubes to the cross piece but that is all it takes.  Energy Suspension makes them as well as the transmission to cross member mount.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.1102

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.1104_v8

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Thanks folks. I ordered the Mustang poly updated ones prior to the question, but strangely auto-parts places never add the Thunderbird to the Mustang parts lineups and I wasn't sure the compatibility between the 2 cars. So, I guess I will just consider that my Thunderbird is just a Mustang wanabee under the body panels. 
X
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #4
Mustang with slightly longer wheel base basically. When I replaced my ujoints, I had to order then for a 2.3 n/a stang to get the right ones.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Quote from: BradMph;464473
So, I guess I will just consider that my Thunderbird is just a Mustang wanabee under the body panels. 
X

Yes, and no. There are differences, but some parts interchange.

Lots of discussions on these subjects around this forum.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo