Skip to main content
Topic: Best way to remove pinion nut (Read 1175 times) previous topic - next topic

Best way to remove pinion nut

What's the best way to remove a pinion nut from a 7.5 without air tools?I have 1/2 inch drive sockets and breaker bars.Any ideas?The rear is out of the car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
get some bar stock 18" long drill 2 holes in it and then bolt it to the u-joint . then remove nut w/ socket
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Reply #2
make something like this
1987 TC

Reply #3
I'll give it a shot.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
I just used an air impact gun. But I like the tools shown if you don't have airtools and a big compressor.

Reply #5
24" pipe wrench to hold the yoke.
3-4' pipe extension over an offset, box end wrench on the nut.

I guess a 1/2 breaker bar might work too, but I always seem to bend the hell outta those.