Skip to main content
Topic: The Value of These Cars? (Read 2396 times) previous topic - next topic

The Value of These Cars?

Reply #15
Thanks for all the opinions on this topic.  I guess its safe to say that these cars have past the point of "bottoming out" and are slowly climbing their way to classic status.

I was just talking to my neighbor about another of my all time favorite cars: the 77-78 Trans Am, and how 10-15 years ago they were just $500 beaters, and look at their value now.

The Value of These Cars?

Reply #16
The fact that they are mod able, and they are just so underestimated makes them cool!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The Value of These Cars?

Reply #17
Quote from: merccougar50;138710
I was just talking to my neighbor about another of my all time favorite cars: the 77-78 Trans Am, and how 10-15 years ago they were just $500 beaters, and look at their value now.

I can personally vouch for that - my first car was bought in 1990, and it was a 1978 Trans Am. I paid $600 for it. Sold it for $1700 after fixing it up a bit, and bought a very nice, near mint '80 Formula for $800. You couldn't even get a basket case for $800 now. And I seem to remember that parts were just as hard to come by for those back then as they are for our cars now - harder, in fact, since there were no messageboards or eBay (or, indeed, an internet as we know it now)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

The Value of These Cars?

Reply #18
Right now my brother is restoring a 1973 Trans Am 455 (not SD). He bought it like 15 years ago, drove it for a summer, then decided to tear it apart for whatever reason. This year he finally decided to redo the whole car; it's at the body/paint guy's garage as we speak.

Anyway, my bro told me about the values of T/A's and their parts are going way up. Some of the parts he's got laying around--what we might consider unusable or too far rotted--are going for majorly big bucks, especially from Gen2's. Like fenders...if you can find a repop new fender at all, it's going for $1200 US and more. Even used, decent OEM fenders are well over $500 each. His taillight bezels are original GM and 10 years ago, his only choice was to get his rechromed. Well now there are replacements made from original GM stampings, and I guess they're so nice that the OEM parts dropped in value. So it's kind of funny to see what is valuable now, and what isn't...it's usually never what you think. Those T/A's used to be a dime a dozen; now they're so scarce that the values shot way up.

Is that our fate also? Makes ya wonder...

The Value of These Cars?

Reply #19
We haven't been in the star light like the TA though.
Smokey and the Bandit 1+2
Hooper
Rockford Files

The closest we've been is Stroker Ace.

Values of TAs are going up. My cousin has been offered nearly 30K for his. It is an all original low mile car though.

Even Camaros are doing the same. I had a '76 that was nothing better than a parts car. Floors, all fenders quarters rusted, plus a puny 305 that wouldn't even start. The trim was all there as was the interior and all was in decent shape. Sold on Ebay for $500.