Skip to main content
Topic: ATV tires, misery, and pain... (Read 834 times) previous topic - next topic

ATV tires, misery, and pain...

yup, changed the front tires on my four wheeler today, which wasn't so bad, but now, I can't get the new ones to take enough air to seat the beads.
So far i've: bounced the livin' shiznit out of 'em, snugged a come-along around the cirspoogeference of the tire, tried to use ether to "blow" the beads on, only to find it was lock de-icer, and it didn't do jack .
I'd run 'em down to the local gas station, but he's closed for the day.
Anybody know any cheap tips or tricks i could try in the meantime?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #1
I've always just used a strap around the tire and a compressor to fill. Are you using a "real" compressor or one that plugs into the lighter? Try taking the needle out of the valve and it will fill faster.

Reply #2
carb cleaner does wonders and de icer takes a long time but you can do it
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #3
You need a shop compressor and not just an emergency toy compressor to seat the beads properly, it takes a fair volume of air an once. 

On the road I have used "Quick Start" (very common in the great white north) which is basically ether to seat the beads.

Reply #4
hadn pump works better then those pumps to ive set a few small tires with a high volume bike pump
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #5
I got them finally, my little 10 gallon compressor just didn't have the balls to seat 'em on...took the tires to my dad's place, and used his monster, and sprayed some belt dressing on the beads to help 'em "grab". I had the valve cores out, I usually mount my own tires, then take 'em down to town to get balanced. With my aluminum wheels, I don't trust most people with them, I KNOW i can swap tires w/o scarring up a nice wheel.
Anyway, I got them aired up and on the 4 wheeler...goin' ridin' tomorrow, at last. 'Bout ed time, too... old junk tires that were on there were not very fun..:flame:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6