Skip to main content
Topic: Cutting my 1/4 mile time (Read 1911 times) previous topic - next topic

Cutting my 1/4 mile time

Hey guys, its been a looong time since i've been on this forum, I've goten into 4 wheeling my Bronco II and the Cougar doesn't get enough attention these days. Anyway, my cars specs are in my signature. What I want to know is how much I am going to drop my 1/4 mile time by putting in the TC rear end with 3.73's. Right now I am running a high 15, which is pathetic! I have tuned it up and it runs great, especially after the MSD upgrade from Duraspark II. My only problem is that is just doesnt feel like it has the upper power I want, although it'll smoke the rear tire (i hate open diff) all the way through first gear with 245's on concrete. Right now I have 2.73 or 3.08 I cant remember. Any input?

BTW, I am also planning on putting in the edelbrock performer cam when i get some money, right now it is stock, anyone have experience with them?

Re: Cutting my 1/4 mile time

Reply #1
I ran high 15.80's with Just HO coversion and 273's so sounds about right to me. I'm looking for my old timeslips cause I wrote notes on them what mods I had at the time. If I remember correctly (it was like 6 or 7 years ago  :(  ) When I went to 373's, 2800 stall,shift kit, a short belt, and iced the intake while pushing car through staging lanes she ran a 14.90. After I broke into the 14's with practice and trying different things + the weather got cooler I got a 14.60's out of her.

Than I started playing around with nitrous, being the poor college student I was, I didn't have the money to put into the traction end of it so I kind of lost intrest. Nitrous added nice power like 3-4 MPH but it also added 3-4 tenths to my 60' time  :giggle:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
That sounds like a noticeable gain! I'd also like to know what you guys think of the traction-loc in the TC rear end. I figure that would really help in my case. It really wants to go fast, but it just burns em up.  :)

Reply #3
Quote from: 289Cougar
That sounds like a noticeable gain! I'd also like to know what you guys think of the traction-loc in the TC rear end. I figure that would really help in my case. It really wants to go fast, but it just burns em up.  :)

The stock TC rear works for me... I did freshen it up a couple of years ago, still works great.