Skip to main content
Topic: Heads up Display (Read 2405 times) previous topic - next topic

Heads up Display

Anyone have anything like this? I test drove a new camaro a couple weeks ago and it had one, and I liked it. It seems like a pretty cool way to get the "Star Wars" digital tachometer appearance, in a whole new way. I know this one is made in Taiwan, just wondering if anyone had one, etc. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUD-HEAD-Up-Display-speed-rpm-water-temp-volt-Gauge_W0QQitemZ320661081813QQcategoryZ33678QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo=RPSI%2BSI&itu=UCP%2BUA%2BMAGEXP%2BUCI%2BFICS&otn=10&pmod=290505530474&po=LPV%2BLVI&ps=63&clkid=7483330036548753138

Heads up Display

Reply #1
I have an app on my droid phone that will give me a heads up speed you run the app and place the phone on the dash and it reflects your speed in the window.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Heads up Display

Reply #4
For me, I've got to be honest....I've never had an issue looking at the gauge cluster. Stuff on top of my dash bothers me.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Heads up Display

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;354607
For me, I've got to be honest....I've never had an issue looking at the gauge cluster. Stuff on top of my dash bothers me.

I don't have an issue either, just sorta though it was cool, and it would be one way to get the full digital tachometer without the economy  on the far right side.

Heads up Display

Reply #6
SpeedView for Android has a nice UI. I really like it. If had OBD II support I'd use it over Torque, which also has a HUD mode... that I don't ever use since I have a car dock.

It's 0-60 mode seems to error on the optimistic side though. Gave me a 5.0sec 0-60 after bogging bad at launch. =/

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.codesector.speedview.free&feature=search_result
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Heads up Display

Reply #7
Android speedometer is what I tried
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Heads up Display

Reply #8
I don't have a fancy "smartphone". Can't justify the $30 a month data package which seems to be required.

Heads up Display

Reply #9
$10 with sprint
87 TC

Heads up Display

Reply #10
Quote from: bigbada1;354720
$10 with sprint

I heard that on the radio this morning, but It'd have to pay $175 to cancel with verizon.

Heads up Display

Reply #11
several years ago we did this here on the board but I cant find the threads to it.  I cant remember who did it but with a base electronic cluster, just the speedo,,
you can flip the lense backwards and it works.

what was suppose to happen next is someone was to mount the speedo module on the dash so it reflects off the windshield at night.

I proposed it be mounted in the center under that cover if you dont have auto lamps since it seemed like a perfect fit and location.

this is way back when we were all doing the speedo mod to get the display to go past 85.

Heads up Display

Reply #12
Quote from: jcassity;354759
several years ago we did this here on the board but I cant find the threads to it.  I cant remember who did it but with a base electronic cluster, just the speedo,,
you can flip the lense backwards and it works.

what was suppose to happen next is someone was to mount the speedo module on the dash so it reflects off the windshield at night.

I proposed it be mounted in the center under that cover if you dont have auto lamps since it seemed like a perfect fit and location.

this is way back when we were all doing the speedo mod to get the display to go past 85.

Interesting! I never though of that. I have a base digital cluster I use for parts. I would cut the connector off, and splice them into the one on the car, so they would all read the same, put a piece of tape over the odometer on the HUD unit, and it should work, I would think, maybe, lol.

Heads up Display

Reply #14

Similar to the one I listed. The one I listed has a Tachometer though, which is the reason for this, lol. I want a digital style tachometer.