Skip to main content
Topic: Where to tap into for a Temperature and Voltage Gauge. (Read 1816 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to tap into for a Temperature and Voltage Gauge.

I need a place to tap into for power to some aftermarket temperature and voltage gauges. There is an "extra" slot in my fuse panel, but after testing, I found it it's live all the time, not just when the key is on. So that is obviously out.

Where would you guys tie into? I don't want to just run it direct, just in case something happens, and I wasn't sure what other fuse-able circuit I should tie into.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Reply #1
Simple. The volt gauge you'd obviously want to get voltage from only when the engine is running. Where does that lead you to?

Alternator output.

The temp gauge, first you'd want to read the directions that come with whichever one you buy...

Really, this stuff is pretty simple, so simple it hurts. And I need some tylenol..lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;354201
Simple. The volt gauge you'd obviously want to get voltage from only when the engine is running. Where does that lead you to?

Alternator output.

Good call on that one, lol.

Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;354201
The temp gauge, first you'd want to read the directions that come with whichever one you buy...

Really, this stuff is pretty simple, so simple it hurts. And I need some tylenol..lol

I did read the directions for the temp. gauge. It says to tap into an unused "socket" on the fuse panel, making sure it's only live when the ignition is on. Which I did, but my only unused fuse panel socket is hot always.

Reply #3
the directions r correct,, you need switched power.

power with key forward only

Reply #4
years ago, I tapped into the radio power for mine....I have stock everything, so i figured it wouldn't have much of a draw for adding 3 little gauges.... mine also had separate wires for the lights so I tapped into the dash lights so they would also dim.... but don't ask me how or where, because it was in the early 90s.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Quote from: daminc;354297
years ago, I tapped into the radio power for mine....I have stock everything, so i figured it wouldn't have much of a draw for adding 3 little gauges.... mine also had separate wires for the lights so I tapped into the dash lights so they would also dim.... but don't ask me how or where, because it was in the early 90s.

You mean you can't remember!? How come? That was only close to 20 years ago, lol. But the radio wire is a good idea, that is what I was looking for. I have stock everything, except aftermarket fog lights. Thank you.

Reply #6
How do I figure out which one is for the radio? Or just the plain ignition wire? There are like 10 going to the ignition module.

Reply #7
well,
first, unhook the little slip on wire going to the starter relay and unhook it.

use a test light and see which one has power with the key turned forward...there will be many

use a test light and see which one of those has power with the key turned forward all the way to start,, there will be a few.

I would pick a wire with power in both the start and run position.

you will see why i said to remove the slip on connector,, car wont start while your hunting the wire you want to select on the ign sw assembly.