Skip to main content
Topic: Steering rack upgrade (Read 1388 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering rack upgrade

Looking at ordering a 15:1 rack setup from lmr. Anything I should know before buying? Mainly wondering if the stock pump will work with it. It comes with new bushings and tie rod ends and I'm assuming the rod ends will work on my 85 but I'm not sure.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Re: Steering rack upgrade

Reply #1
Ive heard its advised to use a matching pump with the quicker ratio rack.  I did and its been fine, needed new pump because of leaks anyways.
Mike

Reply #2
The more I look into it the more I agree. I know some people have used the stocker with good results but let's face it its a 34 year old pump. Its probably not up to par as is even tho it's only got 102k on it lol.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #3
If you install a 15:1 steering rack on a car with a low volume PS pump, the problem is that if you turn the steering wheel fast enough, the pump will catch, because it can't supply enough fluid volume to the higher ratio steering rack. When this happens you will loose all PS assist. During normal driving, you will never have this problem. It will only show up when trying to turn the steering very quickly.

Reply #4
Following up on Jack's post. I ran the 15:1 rack with the low volume pump for a short bit YEARS ago.

The car was a street car, but I did run into the assist loss a couple of times when I needed to quickly steer the car. It's a rare situation for most drivers, but when it does happen, it will do so at the worst time...like when you're trying to avoid hitting something.

Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
With the drivers around here I don't want that lol. About an hour ago I got a good reminder of how tastic these brakes are too.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost