Skip to main content
Topic: My GTbird build (Read 44144 times) previous topic - next topic

My GTbird build

Thought I would share my rebuild and hopefully gather some insight and help along the way. Don't blink because this is goin down fast.  Car is a 83 TurboCoupe that I got as a roller and I plan to put this thing back to full daily driver status ASAP. Im building a serious turbo 88 Ranger with a tall deck 2.6 four banger shooting for 9 second True Street passes. While this build takes time to make happen I decided I needed something fun to drive so I don't rush my Ranger build so here I present my newest idea......GTbird

Its a super clean Florida car with 75k on the clock. Came with that nasty hood which I promptly traded for a stock 88 TC hood and a set of 93 Cobra wheels.

Sooo here is the plan. I picked up a 96 Explorer 5.0,mass air harness and ecm out of a Mustang,a 88 TC 8.8,UPR k-member,Flaming River manual rack,v8 t5,aluminum rad and electric fan,Stinger TC 3" SS single exhaust cat-back w/SS Magnaflow,SS Flowmaster Y-pipe.

Im goin to rebuild motor and have the heads ported,swap in a TFS stg1 cam and run with it. I want to upgrade to mustang 11" front brakes and put fresh suspension under it. Im goin to freshen up the interior which is in great shape still and add my own Autometer and Speedhut gauges then add some killer tunes.

I just received the new tires for it today from Tirerack. Sumitomo 245/45-17 for the front and 245/50-17 for the rear.

Im going to have the wheels powder coated a bright silver to match the center caps...hate the black.

Once its up and driving my buddy is going to do a quick respray on the exterior to make it look nice again.

Im sure there will be many stupid questions to come!
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

My GTbird build

Reply #1
Very cool, subscribing to this thread to follow

My GTbird build

Reply #2
I like the name of your project...it's my screen name as well. I came up with it because I transplanted the driveline from an 86 GT into an 88 Bird.XX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

My GTbird build

Reply #3
The '96 Exploders were EEC-V, earlier PCM isn't compatible...

My GTbird build

Reply #4
Sorry Rick! Thought I was being original lol, guess not! How bout you stay on the east coast and I will stay out here in Michigan and nobody will get confused? ;)

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;454851
The '96 Exploders were EEC-V, earlier PCM isn't compatible...
Please go back and read again.....Im only using the Explorer motor. Im using all foxbody electronics {dist,ignition,harness,ecm,etc}
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #5
Now if anyone has some input I could use some help here next..

Upgrading the brakes on the car so Im tryin to collect all the parts before hand but looking for advise on best parts to get.  Right now I have these to work with:
88 TC 8.8 {missing all brake components}
88 Mustang 11"rotors {will buy new calipers}

I still need to find the spindles, the correct master{?} and a adjustable P-valve.

I think a buddy is selling me his stock 95 Cobra coil springs and I have some almost new take off  Monroe shocks n struts from
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #6
I think I'd be ditching that Flaming River rack, especially with 245-width front tires. Nice car, BTW - a four-eye with vent windows and TC front bumper is pretty much the exact car I've been looking for for years
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

My GTbird build

Reply #7
Pretty much gonna have to find the tc brake hardware if you want 4lug. They would be the only rear disc setup in 4 lug.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My GTbird build

Reply #8
Yeah the rear stuff is easy ,just a parts store away. Its getting the right master to work with the new axle and the bigger fronts Im not sure on.  Ordered a adjustable proportioning valve today.

The rack should be fine even with 245's, I drove a manual steering ranger with 275s on it for a while. lol
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #9
The brackets for the rear are the hard parts to find. If they are still bolted, you are golden.

I'm driving mine with no power steering right now and it really isn't bad. You need two hands to park sometimes, but most of the time I forget its not there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My GTbird build

Reply #10
Quote from: deathbypsi;454854
Sorry Rick! Thought I was being original lol, guess not! How bout you stay on the east coast and I will stay out here in Michigan and nobody will get confused? ;)

No need to be sorry, I don't own the name, I just thought it was appropriate at the time when I built it back in '02.
Good luck with your build.
I did a  5 lug swap using 94 Mustang spindles and added 13" Cobra brakes up front. Rear axles and discs were also 94 Mustang. This opens up the availability of parts for years to come and at reasonable prices.
Keep us updated with your build.

Rick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

My GTbird build

Reply #11
I like the direction your able to be going.  I really like the looks of that 88 you built.    Bet you could give some of those kids with the rice burners a lesson or two.  Look forward to watching your progress.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

My GTbird build

Reply #12
Quote from: My10-80;454884
  I really like the looks of that 88 you built.    Bet you could give some of those kids with the rice burners a lesson or two.
Kids in rice burners,old guys in muscle cars,yuppies in Vipers....that Ranger taught quite a few lessons!
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #13
Quote from: deathbypsi;454890
Kids in rice burners,old guys in muscle cars,yuppies in Vipers....that Ranger taught quite a few lessons!
I bet

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

My GTbird build

Reply #14
well first mod done!

Had my new tires mounted up and boy am I glad I went with my gut feeling on these. Love the look and will only look better once I get the ride down where it should be.

I also blacked out the center caps for the wheels which made a big difference to me.

245/45-17 on front and 245/50-17 on rear. The rears are 1" taller and 1/2" wider.

I also settled on 2017 Jeep Firecracker Red as the final color for it and got my 88 TC hood yesterday.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger