Skip to main content
Topic: '87 Mustang (Read 8248 times) previous topic - next topic

'87 Mustang

This is a little about my '87 coupe. My buddy picked it up a year ago in the fall, brought it out for storage, then ended up in a pickle so I got it for cheap.

Anywho, since the Sport was a month's worth of bad hair days and too much, too soon, I decided to make something out of this little LX 4 banger. First off, I swapped on the ten holes and the 225/60's that were on my '89 convertible. No pics of that, but then once I took apart the Sport, it became obvious what was going to happen next. I also snagged a set of '99 wheels, but one has curb rash and is lacking a cap:
This is a pic of it last spring when i started the 5 lug swap, and a mockup of the way it will eventually look.

Then of course, there's the new brake calipers ('99+ PBR dual piston units):

Once I had the front together, I attacked the rear. The usual stuff, Ranger axles in an 8.8 that I picked up a few years ago. This rear had already had a 3.55 R&P, as well as brand new Trac-lok put in, so all I did was drain the old (still new, actually) gear lube and I went with Royal Purple.

Here's a shot of the rear in the car, along with tube control arms, and a nice shiny painted diff cover, courtesy of Beau's Elbow Grease, LLC.
In this pic, the springs were stock, later on I put in the springs from the convertible and was very unhappy with the ride. I then installed some cheapo aftermarket "lowering" springs, and they somehow turned out to be the ultra rare 4x4 conversion springs. Not sure what the hell THAT'S about...:hick::punchballs:.

Here's a little snap after a bath, midsummer of this year, after I swapped in the 4x4..errr lowering springs.

As you can see in the last pic, the PO (not my buddy) put on some half-wit blue dots...they were quick to go. I changed out the tail lights for those from an '86, but ended up putting THOSE on my '84, and went back to the newer LX tails. Also, I swapped in the gray front seats from the 'vert, and also have a tilt wheel, gray dash, door panels, black carpet, and also the console from the convertible to swap in.

It's not all going to be just the visuals though. Here's the basis for my GT40/Cobra engine:

45,000 miles 5.0 from the '89. My GT40P heads are at the shop getting a valve job, and having the TFS spring kit installed, I've also got roller rockers, Cobra intake, BBK headers, Motorsport valve covers, and a BBK X pipe, and Flowmaster catback to round out the goods. I was going to go with a bigger cam, but am still debating on just keeping the shortblock whole, and doing up a new engine in the spring, doing a 306, or possibly a 331 stroker.

On deck are a Walbro 255 lb/hour pump, GT rear bumper cover and side skirts, plus the mentioned gray interior stuff. I also modified my convertible door panels to work on a hatch/notch door but nicking a little piece of metal off in each upper front corner. make do with what ya got, ya know?
Externally, it wants a new driver side fender and door...there's been a little contact between the two and they need repaired. The door hinge bushings are shot, and the window seals and wipes are dryer than the Sahara.
Anyway, not much more to update on until I get my heads back and get the block cleaned a little and ready for reassembly.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

'87 Mustang

Reply #1
Nice progress so far. I'd recommend installing the horizontal shocks on the car when using the new control arms. Lots of people learned the hard way that wheel hop is intensified when aftermarket control arms are installed.

'87 Mustang

Reply #2
That's a good call, but the holes in the frame aren't tapped, and besides that, the tires are much too wide.

I also want to add that I've got poly bushings in the frame and axle ends of the lowers, and the frame end of the uppers. I left the rubbers in the rear for the upper though. I had binding on my Sport with poly at all 4 points, it made the rear very stiff and wanted to break out on any kind of rough  or non level surface.

I still need to get a set of V8 mounts, a pilot bearing, get a kit for my T5 so I can fix it, needs syncros and a fork, and possibly more. other than that it's just labor and some time.

If I can get the better part of 300 horse with it, good, but anything over stock will make me happy. I just want a fun little cruiser that's a good 10' car, and has enough balls to get out of the way.

I've already been offered some decent money for this car, but I want to have my fun for awhile...maybe next fall I'll sell it and try to use the money for an '03 or '04 Cobra...that's what I really want to end up with.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

'87 Mustang

Reply #3
Got the engine down to the block, crank, pistons, and rods, ready to clean tomorrow. Had a head bolt on the right hand side that had the head busted off. No idea how long it had been like that, but thankfully I was able to slip the head up off the busted section and then was able to use vice grips and a torch to get the busted bolt out. It was on the outside row, under the header. I didn't even notice it when I took the header off, didn't find it till I was about to use the impact on that bolt..only, it was MIA.

Everything is set aside, ready to clean tomorrow. Pretty much have everything but some engine paint and an oil pan gasket.

I'll update tomorrow evening and post a couple more pics of progress. Get it buttoned back up, and then it'll be time to get the car back in and yank the half-motor, and clean and then swap the wiring in for the 5.0....happy joy. Meh.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

'87 Mustang

Reply #4
Quad shocks with after market UCA's and LCA's?  I have never seen the quad shocks go back on a Mustang when quality control arms are installed in the rear.  Then again I don't think I have seen anyone running pizza cutters on the rear that bother to install aftermarket control arms as they are usually stuffing the wheel wells to the gills with wide tires and rims.

Project is looking good man! Keep up the hard work and post more pics when you make some more progress.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

'87 Mustang

Reply #5
My wheel hop disappeared completely after installing the tubular control arms in the rear. Quad shocks? I don't need no steenking quad shocks.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

'87 Mustang

Reply #6
Yup yup.

I can't remember off hand the size of the rears, when they were on my Tbird, I did keep the quads, simply because they fit and I didn't care, but on the Mustang, they don't fit. Since the convertible that I parted out had all new suspension put under it, I tried to use the new quads, but nope, no way they were going to clear.

I'm going to toss on some more pics of the engine teardown and a couple problems I ran into..luckily it was an easy thing to overcome. It's "warm" today, almost 38, so perhaps I can get the block cleaned, dried, lubed, and covered back up again.

I have to locate another front cover as well...I broke mine, somehow. Looking at it day before yesterday, had a WTF moment. Wasn't like that when I took it off...unless it fell, or something fell on it, not sure. (I blame aliens, obama, the mafia, and the hacker group anonymous for now)...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

'87 Mustang

Reply #7
You can buy the timing chain covers brand new at Autozone or OReilly. They are manufactured by Pioneer who I believe made them for Ford.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

'87 Mustang

Reply #8
Do you still have the 2.3? I could use a spare engine for my Ranger
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

'87 Mustang

Reply #9
Didnt get anything done. got shot. detals later. im ok, but..it hurts. stay safe.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

'87 Mustang

Reply #11
Caught a BB in the right eye, I'm ok now, no damage, but it hurts. Then last night I had the flu, this is the first I've been out of bed since that started.

I haven't this bad in several years, the crud is nasty. Takes a lot to knock me off my feet..this shiznit has done it with ease.

Meanwhile, my engine is calling my name, and it's about all I cando to hobble to the bathroom lol.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

'87 Mustang

Reply #12
I always like the notch.....super love the 86 LX 5.0 model.....the very few they made.

Travis

'87 Mustang

Reply #13
You don't know how bad I wish that mine were an '86....4 eyes rock. I did have an '86 notch back in '99. It wasn't pretty, but it ran great. I added turbines and a T5 from a newer 2.3 Mustang, and fixed a little body damage on the front.

Traded it in for my first '88 Tbird....biggest mistake I ever made. Guy in a town about 35 miles away STILL has that Mustang...these days though, it's got a V8 and a C4. He just putts around in it...drives it like a little old lady.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

'87 Mustang

Reply #14
Quote from: White85GS;441846
Do you still have the 2.3? I could use a spare engine for my Ranger

Yup...since it'll be a little while before I pull it, you can hear it run. Wisconsin is a little bit of a drive, but if you wanted to, we could work something out.

Here's a couple pics of a very minor surprise I had when taking the E7 heads off the other night.
Uh-oh:

No problemo:

Sorry for the grainy pics, it was late, not too well lit, and I had the shakes from too much coffee, and going too long without eating.

The head came off rather easily, and the bolt came right out with vice grips. Not sure if the head was ever taken off and there's something in the hole, or what the deal is. I'll clean things up when I get back out and try another bolt in it and see if it threads all the way down without issues before I get any more invested in the block. It's just too ed cold right now to be out there even with my big kerosene heater on full blast. Still not up to 100% but getting there, so I'm not going to push it. In any case, I've got two other vehicles to attend to when I do, one of them is pretty much an ASAP job, so..

By the way, it's negative 5 and with the windchill factor, probably about 15 below...just not worth it to me right now. ;)

If I had a walk-in basp00get door, I'd have my engine and tools down there, and would be waiting on warmer day to take it all back to the shop as it would have been back together 2 weeks ago.

Make do with what I have, I reckon. LOL
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6