Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 XR7 351 turbo swap.... (Read 55831 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 XR7 351 turbo swap....

Reply #15
Yep(pretty much any ford 60 pin eec4 its plug and play, besides a couple of jumpers)...it is pretty sweet.  Abit pricey, but great support from Shannon and his crew.  I really didnt want to mess with removing the harness.  Also my dash is mint.  I would fear I would crack it.  Some day, when the pimp has sfi control which the new version of megasquirt 3 do.  PiMP is based on MS2.

Reply #16
The 4 cylinder harness should have all the wires you need, including the idle valve diode. I would probably just use the existing plug for the injectors and splice the extra wires on right there. The IAT wires are in the VAM harness. I used those when I MS'ed a Merkur years ago.

If you want, email me a set of the Pimp instructions and I'll look it over for you.

Are you going to be running E85 or gasoline?

Reply #17
Yeah on the IAT/ACT.  When I had the LA3 in the car for years I never wired up the ACT.  So I currently not have anything in pin 25 IIRC.  Or I may just repin and use the VAM harness....not quite sure.  I forget your email address Jim. 

This year im going to be running 93.  Cannot aford the fuel line upgrades this year....2013 if all goes well.  I can get about 600rwhp on the stock lines with a big pump.  I also have the pump hotwired.  Again, I would probably be super happy with 500rwhp this year.  I also have to upgrade all the rear end suspension.

Travis

P.S.  I will get you the pimp startup.  There is lots of info on stingers proboard.

Reply #18
Got my 351 fox mustang oil pan.  Also the uber arp headbolts.

Proceeding!

Travis

Reply #19
Pickeup a set of 351 GT40 heads...for a great price.  Cannot remember if I mentioned the fcam.

Travis

Reply #20
I like that carputer.. I'm going to use a laptop for now for tuning with quarterhorse, but that seems like a nice longterm solution.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #21
I did the laptop deal for many years running QH/BE...worked great.  Im a computer consultant by trade.  We had this stuff hanging around in boxes from a couple of years ago.  It was a first generation touch screen and atom computer.  Tablets have replaced that technology.  Its low power and will work well for what I need.  Runs XP great.  Also I could use the 2 serial ports on the MB for easy of communication with PiMP.

Travis

Reply #22
Yeah, the big drawback to an inexpensive tablet solution (at present) is the inability to run any windows based software. You can't use one for Megasquirt, QH, Baumann, Innovate, etc. The 'perfect' cheap car/pc/entertainment/tuning solution doesn't exist right now. Everything has limitations. That being said, you can use multiple pieces of hardware optimized to their application to end up with a nice finished product. It just costs more and takes more effort to install. OR spend the money for a Windows tablet and get more capability at a premium price.

I like the looks of what you have so far, Travis

Reply #23
My office currently uses Viewsonic Viewpad 10.  It has dual android and win7 boot.  Works really nice.  Not cheap at $700 or so.  That is with 2gb ram and 32gb ssd hdd.

Travis

Reply #24
Pretty sweet all-around device.

Reply #25
Ok...now im getting there.  Got the fresh rebuilt 95 roller block 351 with 9.5 hyper pistons, in the back of my truck.  Also got a fresh rebuilt C4 with reverse manual valvebody 2800 stall torque convertor.  My lightning GT40 heads also showed up.  Just my Fcam is missing.

Thanks,

Travis

P.S.  i will get some pictures later today.

Reply #26
Ok...now im getting there.  Got the fresh rebuilt 95 roller block 351 with 9.5 hyper pistons, in the back of my truck.  Also got a fresh rebuilt C4 with reverse manual valvebody 2800 stall torque convertor.  My lightning GT40 heads also showed up.  Just my Fcam is missing.

Thanks,

Travis

P.S.  i will get some pictures later today.

Reply #27
not to poke or push buttons, but why an F-303?
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #28
Quote from: Shadow;381725

So at car shows and track events  you can say "It's got an Effin Cam in it !!"????????

j/k
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #29
Quote from: Shadow;381725

Its all good to ask questions...thats why I put this type of post up.  Peoples opinions and ideas are a good thing. 

Couple of reasons on the F303 cam.  Its pretty cheap.  I got my new for $150.  I had access to stock 5.0 and stock truck 5.8 roller cams.  Both of those cams really die off after 5200rpm and even more so for the truck. 
I want the engine to make power to 6k.  Lots of really fast Mustang turbo guys use it.  Its sounds pretty good with a turbo....that all I got.

Travis