Skip to main content
Topic: 7.5 vs 8.8 (Read 50533 times) previous topic - next topic

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #30
wow i totally didn't think of that
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #31
Ok... so let me tell you guys from my experience with 7.5 rear ends.... You know my car... it's making around 500 RWHP and 400+ ft. lbs of tq. in an auto... I did shatter one rear beyond coming back and bent both stock axles.... well twisted...lol
So instead of replacing it with a 8.8 I had it built the right way and now it has been amazing even running 11's with slicks...
They key is to have it built right and by someone who is going to take their time to do it right for you...
I have FMS 4.10 gears
A Detroit TruTrac unit
Yukon Chromoly racing axles
and all new racing carrier bearings and shims...

A lot of people under estimate the capabilities of these rears, DON"T

I like the 7.5 and maybe one day upgrade...till then... I'll rip up the track with what I built FORD tough...lol
1987 Cougar XR7 308 S/C
Trick Flow Heads/S-Trim/42lb. Inj./Stg. 1 cam/4.10 Detroit Locker,Yukon Axles,T/A Rear End Housing,CHE Upper Control Arms,Chucks Poly motor mounts,
Working A/C -- BBK Shorties/ H-Pipe/ Flowmasters/ Eibach Springs/SSM lift bars/ Max Motorsports subframe connectors/3300 stall convert/ etc....... list keeps going
Lots and Lots of Parts to make you go FAST !!
2008 Mustang GT - - Dark candy Apple Red
Roush Louvers;18" Polished Bullit Rim;3.55 Posi;Hood Scoop;Pypes Exhaust

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #32
7.5" rears are like T5 trannies. Some will take years of abuse behind a maniac with a lot of power, and some will snap in twain while riding around town.

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #33
Hey guys, just reading the June '07 Car Craft, and they have an article about 8.8" rears. I noticed they mention that starting in '94 mustangs they had 31 spline axles and carrier. I thought the 31 spline axles were in trucks only? Hmm, could Car Craft have made a boo-boo?
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

7.5 8.8

Reply #34
I looked for a long time to find an 8.8 for my 84 cougar! After looking for so long i took my 7.5 rearend in and had it built with a locker! and 4.11 gears! It takes all the power i can give so far! Witch is a 351 windser with 150 shot NOS! if i go to about 600hrs i will look for another rearend!

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #35
Quote from: billwrks;177324
I looked for a long time to find an 8.8 for my 84 cougar! After looking for so long i took my 7.5 rearend in and had it built with a locker! and 4.11 gears! It takes all the power i can give so far! Witch is a 351 windser with 150 shot NOS! if i go to about 600hrs i will look for another rearend!

You are on borrowed time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #36
8.8's are everywhere if look around.I see them on Ebay everyday.We just pulled a TL 8.8 with 3.73 gears fron a '96 Explorer (disc brakes),welded new spring perches on and installed it in my friend's '67 Mustang coupe.Perfect fit.I know,that's not a Thunderbird or Cougar,but,the Turbo Coupe and Mustang rears are out there for the picking.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrks 

You are on borrowed time.

Almost all locking units for the 7.5 eliminate the spider gears.  Couple that with a rear girdle and you have a rear that is much stronger than a stock 8.8.

Would a built 8.8 be stronger than a 7.5?  Sure!  Don't knock a 7.5 done correctly though.  It's what I have......Of course, I don't put nitrous through mine either.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #38
i had the stock 7.5 in the ranger with the stock 3.45's in it (still open).  i never had any issues with it, and i was making a good bit of power at the time (right around 280 to the wheels).  i've since swapped it out for the new build, but i never had a single problem with it and i beat the hell out of it for about 4 years.

the 7.5 is stronger then a lot of people think.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #39
Untill your coochng around 350t then leave the 7.8. WHen u get the mad power 350t get a 8.8. Just to let you know a 4.10 gear is a drag gear so go with around a 3.27 gear or 2.81 which has a higher speed but lower acceleration but your AutoX how offten are u taken off form a dead stop.

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #40
I assume by 350t you mean 350 ft-lbs of torque?

If done correctly a 7.5" can handle more than that.....
I'm told mine will take over 500 in it's current form.  The locking unit is rated for 800....

Then again I see you were talking about the 7.8.....:hick:

As said before a similarly built up 8.8 will be stronger than a 7.5 barring some part defect.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #41
I couldn't brake my 7.5,I tried.Of course its for sale!
If you build it right it will not come apart.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #42
I had a 7.5 with 3.45 gears from a Turbo Coupe.That thing took all the abuse I gave it,and never gave me a minute of trouble.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #43
What about picking up a 7.5 out of a sn95 v6 stang, should swap right in, correct?

Rear disc and all??
Mike

7.5 vs 8.8

Reply #44
Look..... you can make a 7.5 do crazy things if you build it right..... Take mine.... it's a 7.5 with a detroit Tru-Trac locker, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Moser C-Clip Eliminators, Yukon Axles, T/A performance rear end cover with main supports and fully welded Axle tubes.....  I am pushing over 500 RWHP and close to 500 ft. Tq. to the wheels with 295/45/17 M/T drag radials.  CHE upper control arms and maximum motorsports lower control anti hop bars.  I'm running low 11's with no problems.....

Now I have snapped axles and c-clips but that was when the rear was in stock form.  I have been told that this rear setup the way it is that I can handle 700HP with no problem..... The only problem is will the floor boards.... I have to next weld on battle boxes to prevent the torque from ripping the floor apart....

any question on these rears, please feel free to ask....
1987 Cougar XR7 308 S/C
Trick Flow Heads/S-Trim/42lb. Inj./Stg. 1 cam/4.10 Detroit Locker,Yukon Axles,T/A Rear End Housing,CHE Upper Control Arms,Chucks Poly motor mounts,
Working A/C -- BBK Shorties/ H-Pipe/ Flowmasters/ Eibach Springs/SSM lift bars/ Max Motorsports subframe connectors/3300 stall convert/ etc....... list keeps going
Lots and Lots of Parts to make you go FAST !!
2008 Mustang GT - - Dark candy Apple Red
Roush Louvers;18" Polished Bullit Rim;3.55 Posi;Hood Scoop;Pypes Exhaust