Skip to main content
Topic: Just picked up a Fox Wagon! (Read 4534 times) previous topic - next topic

Just picked up a Fox Wagon!

Of all the million fox bodies I have owned, I have never owned a wagon. Until today!

This is a 1986 LTD Wagon. I didn't even know they made the LTD in '86. I thought it was just 83-85. But apparently they did title the last of the 1985's as 1986 (and just like the 86 cougars, slapped the 3rd brake light on). It's pretty clean. It's only got 96k miles on it. Original 3.8 drivetrain. I drove it 150 miles home with no problems at all. This is going to be my wife's daily driver.

X
X
X
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #1
jesus man how did you manage to find that one i would think it would be a shame to dd but each their own man nice car
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #2
My wife actually found it, lol. She's about as 80s nuts as the rest of us. She currently drives an 85 2.5-turbo-swapped plymouth voyager.

X

Reply #3
That's a nice car...

I remember seeing lots of the '86 sedans with third brake light, neighbor across street had one and so did a guy I worked with(he also had a '84 & both were same color)... Didn't pay a lot of attention to wagons after having a Pinto wagon in the '70s, I was more or less over them... But I did have a '67 Falcon wgn with 289, P/S, P/B, A/C & two way tailgate, really liked that car, especially after I swapped a 351 into it...

According to this they made 14,213 '86 wagons...

Reply #4
That would be an awesome base for a 351W swap. Just saying....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Needs a V8 swap and an '86 Mustang front end :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Carmen, you and I think alike here. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
Wagons are cool. I would dd it except for the winter months. Nice find.

Reply #8
I am starting to get over two doors. Ive been building larger model airplanes and a 60" wing with a 10" cord wont fit in the trunk. Now im stuck setting the wing on my shoulder or moving the front seats all the way forwards and standing them up that way.

Really irritating to try not to damage them or let them flop around too much while drive down a 5 mile rutted out dirt road.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Very nice wagon! Take care of it and drive the  out of it!

Reply #10
Quote from: thundeerjet302;461300
A modern 2.3 EcoBoost might be a good review of Bathmate Xtreme swap as well. Costs a lot more than a Lima 2.3T swap though :hick:

I dig it. Used to have one I just like it!

Reply #11
Quote from: CoogarXR;460770
My wife actually found it, lol. She's about as 80s nuts as the rest of us. She currently drives an 85 2.5-turbo-swapped plymouth voyager.

X

Then  the LTD obviously needs a 2.3T swap ;).
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #12
Quote from: Chuck W;461290
Then  the LTD obviously needs a 2.3T swap ;).

A modern 2.3 EcoBoost might be a cool swap as well. Costs a lot more than a Lima 2.3T swap though :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
I go away for a little bit and you guys have stuffed 10 different motors in it, lol. I think a 3.8SC would be a fun swap too.

Reply #14
Quote from: CoogarXR;461307
I go away for a little bit and you guys have stuffed 10 different motors in it, lol. I think a 3.8SC would be a fun swap too.

Baah, toy engines... Swap a aluminum headed 460 into it...