Skip to main content
Topic: Column shift semi conversion (Read 2687 times) previous topic - next topic

Column shift semi conversion

So, my column shift linkage really sucks after my h-pipe install.  I can't get manual first anymore because I had to re-position the joint.  I wan't to know if anybody else has dealt with the same, and what the fix might be.  Otherwise, has anybody heard of staying with column shift, but converting to a cable linkage?

Reply #1
Install a floor shifter and console. You'll be glad you did, and the swap is pretty easy. Just gotta find that shifter and shifter related hardware. The rest is cake.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Thanks, vinnie, but I would only make that conversion if I had no other choice.  Right now, that's money I'd rather spend in my exhaust or suspension, and I'm probably nuts, but I like my column shift.

Reply #3
you'll need to do a little reforming on the pipe...if you need a lot of clearance, then you will have to cut a notch in the header pipe, and weld in a piece.

what headers did you install?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
The problem is the H-pipe.  it required me to place the linkage joint further rearward a little, and that is causing me problems.  What I need is an alternative to the mechanical linkage that DOESN'T require me to track down a console, a shifter, a driver's seat, a column, a shiznitload of trim that matches my color, and to cut a hole in my floor.  Even if I wanted to go that way, I live in Michigan where 80 percent of the potential donor cars have long degraded to dust.  Soon, I'll be installing an even bigger H-pipe that's likely to make the problem worse. 
On top of that, my speed density system is pissed off, and I'll be having to get rid of it also, after maf conversion, I'll need a plan for my shift linkage, hopefully soon.  I need ideas, because I'm fresh out.

Reply #5
why would you need a drivers seat?

can't you rework the H-pipe to fit your needs? would be the cheapest way around your problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
I'm not beating the h-pipe in because I already don't have enough exhaust flow.  After looking at my seat, I guess I wouldn't need one, but that doesn't really change the fact that those parts are exceedingly rare here.

Reply #7
What headers are you running? I have FRPP stainless shorties and a Summit 2.5" H-pipe. I found that the lower stud on the header hit the shift linkage on my column shifter. I just removed the lower stud and replaced it with a bolt, nut, and washer. It clears the shift linkage and I can shift through all of the gears without a problem.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
well, I wasn't suggesting that you beat the pipe in...mine adjusts on the cross pipe to squeeze it together a bit. that would be the place to get more room for your linkage
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
Sounds like you need to PM hcor for the floor shift conversion as he is the resident parts acquirer.  He probably has all the parts you need and his prices are very reasonable.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #10
Did you make the holes bigger on the bracket, where it connects to the frame? usually you can make it work. What header do you have?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #11
You can use a shifter cable out of a stick shift fwd and make your own setup. It really depends on how creative you are. I bent my shifter rod and it worked but I pulled the trans really quickly after doing it so I don't know how long it lasts.

my setup 351w, bbk shorties, summit 2.5 h pipe.
should be the same for 302 with factory headers

I said screw it and converted to a stick. I also have a 84 with factory console so it was relitavely easy for me.

Reply #12
As for another option, I got a used floor shifter out of a Lincoln on ebay 2 yrs ago for $60. The only hole I had to make was on the driver's side of the tunnel for the cable. There even are mounting holes for the front of the shifter on the inside of the tunnel. As for the console even if you have to make one, it's fairly easy. No tricky curves,