Skip to main content
Topic: 84 XR-7 Project (Read 27907 times) previous topic - next topic

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #30
Donor arrived today!  All the fun stuff can start now.

Doesn't look like much, but it has everything to do that swap right.  For $640 delivered, I can't complain.  I have the engine, all wiring, brake booster, and everything else I need, except for transmission...it's auto.  Not too discouraged though, my car is already 5 speed swapped so I just need a trans and the small wire harness that connects to the body harness.  I was going to get new flywheel and clutch assemblies anyway.

Quote from: thunderjet302;453895
5.0 I'm guessing?

A 2.3 Ecoboost would be a cool swap to replace the 2.3 Lima.

I'd love to do that swap.  But 2015's go for 10k+.  And the new 5.0's are double that.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #31
I didn't realize a wrecked 15+ 2.3 was so expensive.

Is that a Mach 1 or a regular GT?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #32
It's a '99 GT Limited Edition.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #33
Quote from: Billyf17;453900
It's a '99 GT Limited Edition.

Ah. I though it was a Mach 1 because of the wheels.

You could still boost a 4.6 2V. Just saying ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #35
Quote from: thunderjet302;453912
Ah. I though it was a Mach 1 because of the wheels.

You could still boost a 4.6 2V. Just saying ;).

I wish it were a Mach, it'd save me a bunch of work.  And yes....I could boost a 2V...if I were keeping it a 2V. :burnout:

Anyway, put the battery on charge to get a feel for what electrical quirks the collision created.  To my surprise, it cranked the first attempt with no issues.  After a few hours on charge, fired right up.  Today I got the hood open and made some clearance with the rotating parts and hoses/wires.  Had the wife hop in and moved it to the backyard.  Power steering/brakes worked with no issues, good oil pressure, alternator charges, I feel I got real lucky with this thing. 

Now the wife wants a 99-04 Mustang. :punchballs:

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #36
Quote from: Billyf17;453916
I wish it were a Mach, it'd save me a bunch of work.  And yes....I could boost a 2V...if I were keeping it a 2V. :burnout:

Anyway, put the battery on charge to get a feel for what electrical quirks the collision created.  To my surprise, it cranked the first attempt with no issues.  After a few hours on charge, fired right up.  Today I got the hood open and made some clearance with the rotating parts and hoses/wires.  Had the wife hop in and moved it to the backyard.  Power steering/brakes worked with no issues, good oil pressure, alternator charges, I feel I got real lucky with this thing. 

Now the wife wants a 99-04 Mustang. :punchballs:

Well if the 2V isn't the final plan then yeah just make it work and don;t worry about boosting it. Any idea what the final engine plan is?

Your wife wanting a 99-04 isn't bad. I my wife and I ended up buying this new off the showroom floor for her:

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #37
The engine plan as of now is option A; use the 99's block and get a C-head Continental engine for the 4V stuff and work out an intake.  The Continental used B-head intakes throughout it's production run with the 4V engine.  They have adapters to use B intakes with C-heads, so that opens up options.  BUT if I can get a Lincoln Aviator for the same price as I got the Mustang, then I'll have option B.  Which is yank the 4.6 4V out of that, refresh the engine, and mate it to whatever 5 speed I end up getting.  Either way it's getting cams and maybe higher compression, depends if whatever block I use needs to be overbored.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #38
Avoid the continental. Almost everything on it is unique to fwd. A good source for 24lb injectors but that's about it.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #39
4V is a good idea. Too bad Coyotes are still expensive.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #40
Sounds like a neat project, I look forward to watching your progress!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #41
Not much has been happening lately.  Thought I'd jump on here to give a quick update.

Finally got all the metal I need to do the SFC's and floor patches.  That's the last time I use my dad's friend.  It shouldn't take a month to get 5 pieces of stock.  But that's what happens when the guy sells the most important pieces I need and have been waiting on for almost a month (the 2"x2").

Work is starting to ramp up for the spring busy season.  I might not get any time to myself after this month until about August.  That itself sucks but is compounded by worsening conditions and tensions rising between management and us on the floor, what else is new.  I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what my next move is, I've done the auto tech thing, not for me.  Moved into a warehouse and this one has soured my opinion on working in them.  A big reason I haven't been working on this project or even being on here has been me trying to decide on going to school, sucking it up at this job until my wife is in a better place career wise, or jumping ship and trying a third career path.  It's very stressful thinking about all of it, while also dealing being miserable at work and depression/anxiety out of work.  But anyway...

Missed out on an 03 Aviator.  Was outbid, but I also don't have a lot of cash allotted to getting another donor at the moment.  I have plenty to do with just the Mustang for now, but it would have been more weight off my shoulders knowing I have all I need for the 4V conversion.

The 99 was my first trip into salvage land.  I'm still waiting on getting some form of paperwork stating that the car is now mine for when I take it to the crusher, but honestly, I'm not even sure I'm supposed to get any such paperwork or certificate.  I also picked up the EVTM for the 99.  It's nice to know the format hasn't changed.  When I'm splicing harnesses it'll be nice to not have to "convert" if you will, different layouts between the 84 and 99 EVTM's.

I'm going to start a list and use it as my footer.  The list will be of things that I currently need for this project.  Any help in sourcing these parts would be an astronomical help.  I have like 80% of this project nailed down.  The last 20% is going to be time to do it all and these little things that inevitably will come up.

That's all I have for now.  I'm sorry this isn't really an update but more of a rant.  I don't know if I'll get anything done in the next week or two.  I have a full plate of other projects that need attention.  I have a tractor to finish swapping engines for this early spring we're having.  My brother traded is beater 69 C10 for a mostly done, not quite show truck 68-70 C10, so garage space is a bit limited right now.  My dad and I are also trying to get his 76 Fiat 124 running so that can go outside.  After the Fiat is out, then the rest of my Cougar interior can come out and it'll be full bore on getting the SFCs done and then drive train out.  Of course full bore will mean a few hours a week once work ramps up to 60 hour weeks....ugghhh.  :punchballs:

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #42
Missed out on another Aviator, BUT...I got myself a transmission.

This is a TR3650 out of a 2004 GT.  Guy said it was rebuilt about 12k miles ago.  We'll see.  Going to tear it down to inspect everything.  I was burned on a T5 from Craigslist before so I'm doing this for my piece of mind.  I think I got a good deal getting the trans, pedals, block plate, wiring, and an MGW shifter for $525.  Rebuild kits aren't too bad for these at $280-$300.  This shifter looks like MGW's race version.  I'll have to email them to see if I can get a lower boot from them as the one I got has ripped and is letting oil get out.

Other than that, got the car up on jack stands, not as high as I would like.  Have to figure a way to get it higher.  While I was jacking the car up, I took some pics to show how much flex the car has.  I measured 1/8" with both driver side wheels off the ground, jacking under the driver front rail.  We'll see how much smaller that gap will be once I get the SFC's in.

That's all for now.  Hoping to get the rest of the interior out and get started on the floor this Friday.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #43
Wow. The subframes should take quite a bit of that flex out.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #44
It's been a while. I'm still plugging away at the floor. It's too hot in the garage to be welding, grinding, and trying to be a fab guy. Driver side is 95% done. Good enough until I get the car on it's side to do the underside.

Over the past few weeks, I've learned a few things about the used parts market. Mainly that people selling and buying parts from me, are MUCH easier to deal with that people selling Mark engines. I got a guy selling an engine but no way of removing it, guy selling an engine but wanting a $50 deposit to pull the engine, and both of those guys then trying to sell me the whole car after I get annoyed and waste time. Both are over 2 hours away so I'm not buying a whole car, nor am I driving 2 hours to give $50 only to have to drive back to get the engine. People I tell ya.

So I revised my plans and skipped the Mark VIII engine and bought this 99 Continental engine for $218 pulled from EZ Pull in New Ringgold, PA. I got my C heads! I'll keep checking back there for a Mark VIII and have them pull that. But for now I have my C heads and my 99 2V block that I can use if I can't find a Teksid.

Pile of useless FWD specific stuff.

Can you guess which head overheated?

It's too bad the block is different.  It's a nice piece.

You can see the difference in colors better here. Cooling mod on the list.

This is the last major piece I need for this swap.  I have a donor car complete with wiring, a 4.6 specific 5-speed, and now my 4V C-heads.  Everything else I need I can get new and isn't needed, like tubular K-member.  I'm excited for the first start, even though I'm quite a long way from that point.  I can focus more on the car and not getting parts to do the swap now though.