Skip to main content
Topic: 84 XR-7 Project (Read 28116 times) previous topic - next topic

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #15
You'd think there was a snow storm or something.

The process of stripping the hood has begun.  There are a few dents to tend to first, before the chem stripper is applied.

My dad was tending to the hood while I tackled the interior.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this, putting the Low Fuel Warning Switch here?  Both my dad and myself are pretty confused by its placement.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #16

I tried to capture the crazy differnce in color between new and 32 year faded carpet.  It's much more dramatic in person.  New carpet going in, probably will be black in color, maybe a dark gray.  The bluish gray factory color just doesn't do it for me.

Carpet out.  Passenger side foot well jute was soaked.  Don't know why, it's been inside for almost a month and as far as I know, the door seal still works.  Any water getting in the door would have gone out the door bottom.  The car hasn't been driven since 2010 so the soaked insulation has me confused.  Driver's side was pretty dry, but a new hole developed.

Found this punch card under the driver's seat under the carpet.

Next will be to remove all of the factory asphalt material on the floor and begin getting the holes fixed and rust under control.  Then the first chassis mods,  subframe connectors, rocker tie ins, and jacking rails.  Most important being the SFC's because engine removal and door repairs are being put off until those get put in.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #17
Nice work so far. I like seeing someone making progress. My funds have been zero for quite some time. I almost went with that color on my Sport, but green was the way we went. It looks great.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #18
Been busy since last weekend, so there should be more than one update this week.  I'd like to update more but my work schedule doesn't allow me to work on the car, sleep, and update this little sbook.

Pulled all the forward asphalt sound deadening.  What a pain in the butt.  It wasn't hard, just awkward to position myself to use my hammer and various sers.  Logged about 12 hours just pulling all that out, after work.  So I was in the garage from 1:30 til about 4-4:30 AM every night.  Friday being my day off, I got to spend a lot more time sing.  I cannot wait to pull the rear interior out and se some more. /s <-- (that means "end sarcasm" for those who don't speak internet.)

Yay holes!  Don't get me wrong, I'm very relieved that it isn't MUCH worse.  I did drive this car in the winter for a few years.  I also jumped it, and slid it, and stopped traffic with localized fog with it.  The fact this car is as straight as it is boggles my mind.  Anyway, onto other things:

As is customary, nest inside of HVAC unit.

Consider this a before image.  Hopefully sooner rather than later, this harness will become one with another harness.  I have some unique and interesting plans for this car.  I just hope the pieces fall together soon, or else this will become a cookie cutter build.

I took a break from sing to take care of one of the 4 million mini-projects this car will need in the coming months.  Installed an aluminum 3 hook quadrant originally slated to be installed in my 90 Mustang GT.  Since that car has since been downgraded to lawn ornament, it no longer needs this.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #19
A few days ago I jacked the car up on the driver side to start getting the underside ready for the SFCs.  I also took a minute to look and plan the jack rails and other stiffening mods.  I straightened the pinch weld where either a slipped jack or bottoming out on something bent it in.  I also couldn't resist opening the door to see how much the car had twisted with just a jack under the front subframe.  Now my hinge bushing are shot, so the door does the whole falls down a quarter inch thing when I open it.  I'll be sure to get a video of before and after the SFCs.  The door popped UP when I opened it.  I didn't expect that.  I thought maybe the door would have some resistance against the striker but not that it would pop up.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #20
My 86 is like that. I've had other cars where the door was hard to open and shut when jacked up. My cougar I can't open or close either door while it's on jack stands. My last 87 bird didn't seem to care at all when it was jacked up. Doors opened and closed like normal.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #21
Quote from: Haystack;453688
My 86 is like that. I've had other cars where the door was hard to open and shut when jacked up. My cougar I can't open or close either door while it's on jack stands. My last 87 bird didn't seem to care at all when it was jacked up. Doors opened and closed like normal.

I think the 87-88 cars must have been slightly stiffer. My Thunderbird didn't really flex at all on jack stands before subframe connectors.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #22
Well I can confirm that.  My 87 felt like a tank compared to my 84.  It didn't handle better but it rode a lot quieter. The steering was heavier too.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #23
Probably explains why the 87-88 cars were a couple hundred pounds heavier.

Back on topic. How are you replacing the rusted floor boards?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #24
Didn't get near as much done this weekend as I had hoped.  But we did start working on the driver's quarter.  Got that pretty well straightened out.  I had to work on a family member's car Saturday, which took a lot longer than I wanted.  Kind of stuck at the moment anyway.  Still trying to find a place or person to help with getting the metal I need for the SFCs.  I'll have a ton to do once those are done.  I don't think I have anything major this coming weekend, so hopefully we'll make some good progress.

Quote from: thunderjet302;453697
How are you replacing the rusted floor boards?

They aren't too bad.  Just going to cut out the bad and make patches with sheet metal.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #25
Some good luck came my way this weekend.  I don't have it in my possession yet, but I have found a donor vehicle!  This is a great weight off my shoulders.  I had a moment of giddiness once I found out, like I finally can say "OMG this is actually going to happen!"  Pics coming in a few days, I'm not sure exactly when it is going to get dropped off.

I also have a question concerning the transmission tunnel.  Does anyone know if the Mustang 5 speed transmission hump fits my floor?  I don't want to buy one and it not fit.  I won't need an extra one.  I have a '90 GT and a '91 LX, they are manual and auto respectively.  The LX is getting parted and sent to the crusher.  I might have to take the one off the GT to try it.  If not, I guess I'll just have to cut the opening and figure out a way to better seal the hole to the shift lever coming out of the transmission.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #26
I didn't use anything in addition to the lower shift boot seal and I had no issues. I actually just siliconed it to the floor, forgot to get some bolts for it and forgot all about it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #27
Does the donor have an Ecoboost?

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #28
No boost, at least on this first engine build.  But displacement will be doubled, HP more than doubled.

84 XR-7 Project

Reply #29
Quote from: Billyf17;453876
No boost, at least on this first engine build.  But displacement will be doubled, HP more than doubled.

5.0 I'm guessing?

A 2.3 Ecoboost would be a cool swap to replace the 2.3 Lima.